Well, my dad suprised me tonight by wanting to work on the car.
So, we made a jet and rod change from a 72 jet/46 rod, to a 68 jet with a 32 rod. We've also switched out the secondary needles for fatter ones.
This had great response in the car, it pulled harder in the secondaries but is still a little to pokey around town.
We're going to fix that with another primary needle/jet change to lean out the primary side somemore. Because it used to be very peppy in town, but still popped.
We also adjusted the secondary butterfly door spring that you mentioned, that helped as well.
After we're done jetting, we might mess with the timing but so far, everything's looking up.