What's a good value PPG epoxy & urethane primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's a good value PPG epoxy & urethane primer?

My local supplier carries PPG. On my last paint job I used Global products because I didn't have much experience and wanted to ensure I was using the best products.

But my current project is being prepped for resale so I'd like to control cost as much as possible but still not be so cheap I cause myself issues. With all of PPG's lines, Shopline, Shopline Plus, Deltron, Omni etc. I'm not sure which direction to go.

I'll be needing
an epoxy primer,
a 2K urethane primer,
then single stage white and I may add some clear to my last coats for effect and easy cut and buff if needed.

Which product lines (and product #'s) will save me some expense and still perform well?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 PM

I used to use PPG DP-40 epoxy primer and Deltron color coats. The Deltron goes on good, is easy to color sand and buff, and looks great. However, in Arizona it doesn't hold up very well out in the sun. Kind of like old laquer.

Dave.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

I use the Omni MP170 epoxy primer and the Mp282 high build primer. Both of these are half the price of the Dp40 and K36 primers and work just as good.

For whats its worth it is probly easier to go with a base/clear system if you are going to wet sand and buff it any way. I would get the DBC base coat as the omni doesn't cover as good and it will cost the same in the long run.

I buy my stuff at Finish Master and they sell Zolatone and Transtar clears with both work good and are under a $100 a gallon.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

I think I've used the Omni epoxy before. Good to hear about the MP282.
Most of the complaints I hear about Omni are about base coat coverage. Is the Omni clear good stuff?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

I've never used.

I painted my friends 18 ft boat and with 3 coats some areas were light. I have had better results with the single stage.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.