Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What's this metal in my oil pan?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 AM
406cu.in. of tire smokin' fun

Last journal entry: 406 Build Thread
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I did put about 250 miles on when I first got it, and then decided it needed to be recurved because I needed more initial timing. Nothing was wrong with it when I took it out, but now there is. I'm not sure what they did to it, but I imagine they wouldn't admit to it. I will definitely be talking to them. I don't know if there is an extra shim or not because I don't know what it is supposed to look like.

The intake is untouched and the block was only decked enough to make a nice sealing surface for the heads, which ended up being .008".

I have the 400 oil pump rod which is necked down. The pump is a standard volume pump, so nothing special.

It's a Mallory HEI distributor, so I would think the machining would be accurate coming from a name brand company. Especially since it started off fine.

The gear teeth didn't look like that when I pulled it at 250 miles. The wear pattern was in the center just like it should be.