It cranked up fine. I took the pump apart and it looked good to me. There was some VERY light wear, but nothing you could feel with your finger nail. The machine marks in the metal are still visible.
I don't know how close it was before because the wear on the teeth were exactly where you'd want it to be. I bought this distributor new when I rebuilt the engine. After this whole thing, I started looking at everything a little closer. I found that there was two gaskets stuck together, but that would have made the distributor ride a little high. The gaskets were stuck together from Mallory, because what they sent me with the distributor I used.
I can tell you that after this setback, I will be checking/rechecking the teeth wear and I will be buying shims if needed.
Honestly, this is my first ground up engine build. I've bought crate engines before and done a fair amount of engine work, but most of it is just stock replacement pieces. I have learned a lot doing this, but I think the two things I have learned most is that you can never check too much and nothing aftermarket fits like it should.