Whats the most useless tool you ever got? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 11:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm always running into junk tools. One that comes to mind was a made in China pickle fork. The legs spread the first time I tried to use it. I bought it at Autozone, and they gave me a real hard time when I returned it. I had to pitch a hissy fit in the store in front of all the customers (got my money back). That Chinese steel is garbage. Makes me wonder how well their tanks would hold up in battle. Could probably punch a hole in the turret with your fist.
Another one that still ticks me off is the Crapsman 14v cordless drill I bought at sears. Only used it twice then I put it away for about a year. The next time I tried to use it the charger went up in a puff of smoke. The kicker was I couldn't even buy a replacement charger for it. It was discontinued. So now I have a cordless drill and no way to charge it. So I went out and spent the bucks on a Dewalt 18v. Much better.
Another one was my Craftsman mig welder. Worked great for a year till the gas solenoid fried out. Took the cover off and discovered whoever put the screws in the cover used one that was way too long and drove it right into the solenoid's windings. Well the 12 month warranty was expired, and even though I showed them it was a factory defect, they still wouldn't fix it or anything. I couldn't even find a replacement solenoid valve. I ended up buying some varnished wire from Radio Shack and rewinding the coil myself. Works good now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Busted; here's a hint. Look into the Harbor Freight 18V cordless drill. I have had mine for over a year of HARD service and it is still going strong. Will work all day on one charge and only costs about $45 (a third the cost of your DeWalt?) on sale which it is quite often. I give them as gifts to almost every one I know!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Willys, Since I already bought the Dewalt, I hope I don't need another one real soon. Would be a nice gift though. Right now I'm thinking about buying HF's 18v recip saw. Seems like a decent deal for $99.00. I'm hoping it'll go on sale for even less. That would be a great tool for my boneyard treasure hunts. A friend of mine raves about his Mikita cordless recip. Says its even stronger than his AC recip, but I've also heard about some poor quality coming from Mikita.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Well... I hope HFs cordless recip is better than their regular one. I bought two and stripped the gears cutting a few pieces of ABS plastic pipe! I traded them both to HF (they gave me full credit) plus some cash for a DeWalt!! I am one who had mag experience with Maikita. Bought two die grinders and fried the motors on both after 1/2 hr of grinding open holes in 18ga mild steel with a 1/2" carbide burr. Now only use my $14 HF air die grinder which works super.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

Well if HF has a return policy like that (don't know, haven't had to return anything yet), I'll take a chance on that cordless recip. Thanks again Willys.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:23 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I have been using Ryobi cordless tools for almost two years now. I bought a kit that had a drill, circular saw, recip saw, and a light. I beat the crap out of it every weekday for two years and it still works great. I just bought another Ryobi drill and light because it was on sale at Home Depot. The ryobi far outlasted the craftsmen cordless drill i had a couple years ago.

Oh yeah, this is supposed to be about USELESS tools. I received a Rotozip a few years ago as a gift. It is absolutely worthless to use it to cut straight lines. It has a circle attachment that works good, thats the only time i use it. I bought some cheap wire strippers off of eBay that broke the first time i tried to strip a 12 gauge wire.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:03 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

EBAY? You gotta see the 3 piece welding clamp set, that looks like vice grips. THey run about $10.00 . The jaws spring too easy. I tried to clamp 2 boogers together and they wouldn't hold ! 'Snot the tools you want to buy !
Old 02-11-2004, 09:34 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Lately, it seems, the most useless tool I've come across is the web.... It seems most people don't know what it is OR how to use it.
They can take the time to ask on the site if anybody knows where they can find a "fiberglass front clip for their Camaro" or "does anybody know how to use a hammer" when all they have to do is type the same damn phrase into a search engine... It's getting old...
Just venting.
Mark
Old 02-14-2004, 05:37 PM

the craftsman nut splitter from sears is the most useless tool that ive ever bought. when you try to tighten it the thing slides off.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:23 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Robo grips are junk. Chinese lineman pliers will take a chunck out
of your hand, MY hand

My Ryobi power tool kit I got from HomoDepot with light, saw, drill
and sawzall has worked very well.
I have had it at least 2 years. and I used the sawzall to cut the roof off my old ford van, so it can take abuse with ease.

Oh and don't buy one of those cheap Lincolin welders, I see stacks of returned Lincolin welders at HD.

Hobart all the way!
Old 02-14-2004, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

I use robo grips all the time have no problem with them,and i work as a mechanic in a garage.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

bad tools

There is one that sticks in my mind, my wife got me an 18" cut off wheel from harbor freight and I cut one piece of steel with it and the bearings seezed up! That was $49 down the drain!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.