Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Whats This In My Carb (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/whats-my-carb-115967.html)

Canadian Charlie 05-13-2007 11:40 AM

Whats This In My Carb

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my problem:

I have a Chevy Silverado with a small block in it and lately the idle has been going from 1000RPMs to 3000RPMs at idle, really jumping around. So a couple a days ago I pull the carb (Holley 750 double pumper) thinking I have a vacuum leak or something. Today i go and remove the fuel bowls to find a brownish sludge in the secondary bowl, the primary bowl is super clean.

What is causing this?

Also on the intake manifold right under the seconday bowl there is a puddle of gasoline. I have to admit that the mounting point on the rear of the intake is stripped so my carb is only held on by 3 bolts

The jets are not clogged

Jmark 05-13-2007 12:00 PM

Did the carb sit dry for a while? Looks like it dried out and left behind some moisture deposits.

Canadian Charlie 05-13-2007 01:39 PM

From what I know there was always fuel in it

weirdbeard 05-13-2007 01:48 PM

Looks like when gas stays in a carb for to long and turns to varnish crap. Maybe your secondaries are not opening and fuel is just sitting in that bowl and going bad... :P

oldbogie 01-08-2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Charlie (Post 811263)
Here is my problem:

I have a Chevy Silverado with a small block in it and lately the idle has been going from 1000RPMs to 3000RPMs at idle, really jumping around. So a couple a days ago I pull the carb (Holley 750 double pumper) thinking I have a vacuum leak or something. Today i go and remove the fuel bowls to find a brownish sludge in the secondary bowl, the primary bowl is super clean.

What is causing this?

Also on the intake manifold right under the seconday bowl there is a puddle of gasoline. I have to admit that the mounting point on the rear of the intake is stripped so my carb is only held on by 3 bolts

The jets are not clogged

Did this carburetor get cleaned? That gunk is also in the passages and it will interfere with fuel flow and more importantly emulsion.

The idle is way high this sounds like an air leak somewhere. Only three bolts holding it to the intake, the Holley castings are easily distorded often permantly when not fastened at all locations and or with over tightening.

Bogie

malc 01-08-2015 01:36 PM

Originally posted on 05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Reckon hes fixed it by now.:)

Jmark 01-08-2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malc (Post 2855657)
Originally posted on 05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Reckon hes fixed it by now.:)

I was just about to say the same thing? Wonder how this one got found? LOL