What's my Forty Ford worth? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2004, 08:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What's my Forty Ford worth?

I've got my first car, a 1940 Ford coupe, that's been parked since 1969 and it's been many, many years since I've done any rodding, and so have been out of the loop for a while.

I fully realize no deffinite answer can be given due to certain inherent variables, but I'm wondering what the Forty is worth on today's open market in general terms?

The car is basically all stock with the exception of having a '51 Ford rear end. It was set up years ago for a small block Chevy eng. and trans, which was removed and sold off, so the cars has no running gear, but this may be good because it gives any buyer the option of choosing what eng. & trans they prefer to install.

Otherwise, the car is complete with all the items it should have, the exterior is straight and rust free, the interior has the hard to find rear jump seats, the wheels and tires are basically stock rollers. It's been living under a tarp in California and now needs to go to a good home for a little TLC.

I'd welcome any input as to how I might determine what is a fair price to ask when I put it up for sale. Sorry, no digital camera and so no picture available.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

you will need pictures to help get a fair price on it

A car thats been sitting since 1969 will need a TOTAL chassis rebuild, with brake and fuel lines replaces and gas tank replaced or possibly cleaned out. I would GUESS a 40 Ford in decent shape with little or no rust is worth $1000 but you will need to find a motivated buyer who is looking for a steel bodied car to play with. Like I said this is a guess, a buddy just bought a 36 Ford completely disassembles but complete for $700 so an assembled car should bring more money.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:30 AM

Last journal entry: Slow progress

Here ya go buddy

These all have new paint and are running. I couldn't find one without engine/trans so these are all way higher than you can get I'm sure.

Are you looking for big bucks or do you just want it to have a good home?

these all came from DealsonWheels
1940 FORD $39,900.
1940 FORD COUPE DELUXE $39,500.
1940 FORD COUPE STREET ROD $25,500.
1940 FORD COUPE $64,000.
1940 FORD DELUXE COUPE $10,500
1940 FORD DELUXE COUPE $29,995.
I only threw in a couple of pics, you can see they look pretty good.
Then there's this one
Year: 1940
Make: Ford
Model: 2-Door Coupe
Vehicle Location: Gainesville, Georgia
Price: $38,900 - US Dollars

OTOH This one just sold for 15K'

Since you replaced the rear end I assume the torque tube is gone.

PS.

tm454 posted while I was looking around for prices. Are you interested in any kind of a trade?

Last edited by meanroy; 07-24-2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Try Hemmings

Hemmings motor news has a lot of info and caters to the collector crowd..Who knows there may be some one who just has to have a car like yours..This sounds to me like a good restore candidate as most of it is there..

Good luck..
Old 07-24-2004, 12:08 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies to my question. Yup, whoever buys my Forty will indeed do a frame up restoration, no doubt. I was thinking there are more rodders out there than restoration fans, and this car would be a great candidate for a Mustang front end, small block Chevy350/350, disc brakes, etc. I guess it will just depend on the right buyer who is willing to pay a fair price, rather than many who are looking for that special deal that only comes along once in a lifetime. Looking at some of the pictures sent me, and the prices of those cars - I'm wondering what they originally paid for theirs in the beginning, as compared to what they are worth today?

My thinking is that perhaps I'll detail the car, and then have pictures taken and post them around and see what kind of offers are made. Perhaps then I'll have a good idea of my Forty's current value. Again, thanks for your input.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

You could always put it up on ebay with an insane Reserve (1 million or so). with the intention of not selling it, but to see how high the bidding goes. That would also give you an idea of what some people are willing to pay.

Chris
Old 07-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Your 40 Ford has zero value. As a matter of fact, I am prepared to help you out and give you scrap price for it. Iron is what about ninety bucks a ton, so I'll give you an even 200 dollars for it.

I'll even come to your house and pick it up no charge. Just trying to do my part and participate in recycling and help a friend.

Nairb
22 Twain Avenue
Dodge City, Kansas 67835
Old 07-24-2004, 06:27 PM

Last journal entry: Slow progress

Gee NAIRB

Quote:
Originally posted by NAIRB
Your 40 Ford has zero value. As a matter of fact, I am prepared to help you out and give you scrap price for it. Iron is what about ninety bucks a ton, so I'll give you an even 200 dollars for it.

I'll even come to your house and pick it up no charge. Just trying to do my part and participate in recycling and help a friend.

Nairb
22 Twain Avenue
Dodge City, Kansas 67835
Thats real nice of you. You can just swing by Detroit on your way home and drop off the scrap off.

Heh Heh. Nice try, I'm sure.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:12 PM

The replies to my question about how much the Forty is worth, are certainly becoming VERY interesting! I liked Chris' idea about listing it on ebay, and am especially excited about Nairb's very generous and tempting offer to pay the going scrap price, not to mention his volunteering to traveling all the way to So. Calif. and take it off my hands. He could certainly be the poster child of human generosity, especially in the light of current gasoline prices.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Let me know when you get serious about selling. I have a few rodder buddies in central Ca. that would love a 40. Dan
Old 07-25-2004, 11:15 AM

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the reply, and I'll keep you in mind when it's time to finally let the Forty go. I've first got to clear a path out to the driveway, after finishing up a couple of woodworking jobs for customers.

From your experience, do you believe my Forty would sell faster if it was running, or do rodders prefer to install their own engine/tranny combo? Just curious.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:01 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by cyberbear

From your experience, do you believe my Forty would sell faster if it was running, or do rodders prefer to install their own engine/tranny combo? Just curious. [/B]
It all depends on how bad you want to sell the car and how quick you want it gone, getting it running would involve a major investment , Motor, brakes, etc,etc, rodders looking for cars to build would rather find one that is pretty much complete, like yours is, then build it to their liking,
I would suggest finding a appraiser that is qualified to give you a good idea of what the car should bring, I know that appraisals are usually reserved for finished cars, but with out seeing the car it is hard to get an idea of the value,

40 fords are prime streetrod material and are VERY desireable, Is it a standard, or deluxe model??
I think that any 40 ford coupe in any kind of decent condition should bring from 1000 to 2500, and even more if it is pretty much complete, [minus motor and tranny]

I know up here in Oregon they are hard to come by, and most are rusty hulks,

Not to step on Dingers toes,, But when you decide to sell ,, let me know,, Bill
Old 07-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hey Bill, if you want it, go for it, I'd just be turning on some friends to the car. I've got my 36, still a year or two away from being finished. I'd love to have a 40 but I'd be in divorce court if I bought it. Cyber, Bill pretty well covers what to do with the car. Dan
Old 07-25-2004, 04:02 PM

Bill and Dan,

Your ideas are good ones, indeed. I presently have feelers out for prices on obtaining an eng/trans combo which are averaging $450.00 in my area for good used items. My thoughts were that a prospective buyer would like to see and hear it run, if I wanted to go to the extra effort.

Aprroximately ten years ago I bolted together another Forty I had in the backyard, and basically dropped in a 327 w/3 speed, dinged out the body and primed it. It was a total project car and still needing minor items, I then listed it the local Recycler for $2,500.00 and received more than 150 calls, even to the point of putting a message on my recorder stating it was sold after the third guy saw it. Some even offered more money, sight unseen, but I'd already taken a deposit. I'm now thinking, in today's currency, this Forty being in better shape, might bring even more than the last one. Who knows? If it won't sell, I can always fill it with dirt and grow ivy out of it.

Old 07-25-2004, 04:37 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

up here in the insanely expensive northeast that car will get $5,000 all day long as is with no drivetrain. pick up a copy of hemmings and see what there going for there that tends to be a good barometer of the market. you definatly have somthing thats worth a few bucks. good luck.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.