What's my problem...? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 10:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's my problem...?

Well I'm not sure if anyone here knows about this stuff, but I have a TH350 in my 305 '77 Camaro... I had been having problems with tuneups beacuse of some carb trouble, but that's all fixed now, but I thought that the car was running really rich because at night I could see a large cloud of smoke coming out from behind my car when I drove (only really see it if someone's headlights were behind me)
So I fiogured I needed a tune up, this morning when looking further into it, it turns out I have a tranny leak onto my exhaust.... mind you that the exhaust is stock so it is one the passenger side, what could be leaking...
It has been leaking for 3 years but hadn't had this problem before, plus it seemed like an awful lot of smoke just to be a leak onto the exhaust...
Originally I thought my CAT might have been getting too hot, but when I looked this morning, with the car at full warm up, the CAT was fine...
So the tranny leak is all I have to go on, I get a little smoke at idle with the leak on my exhaust but nothing like when I was driving last night...
All the help I can get would be great...
I can't tell if I have a engine/exhaust problem, or a tranny problem, anyone out there know what I'm talking about...?
Thanks John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The answer is simple, the modulator valve is ruptured. The modulator valve is run off a manifold vacuum source from the engine to the back of the tranny. when it ruptures it pulls tranny fluid up to the engine and burns it creating a blue/white smoke. you should be able to pull the vacuum line and see if it has traces of tranny fluid in it, if it has you`ve found the problem.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

The modulator is new within 12,000 miles, I'll check it though....
THe problem was ok today... I had no smoke or anyting like that, but I had noticed it looks like out of the tranny dipstick hole, that it is burping out fluid...
But when I check to see the fluid level it says that it is a quart low... so how can it overflow and be low at the same time?
Thanks for advice I'll check Modulator asap
John
Old 02-23-2006, 02:54 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

other things that can be a possibility r the filler tube,detent cable,accumulator, or cooler lines... all are located within a few inches of each other on the passenger side of the trans.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:06 AM

Last photo:

Well I found out that it is the exhaust that the smoke comes out of, and I am going to check the modulator in the morning....
I was driving the car tonight, and I got to a stop light, and out of nowhere the car started idleing funny, then when I tapped the gas a few times it full on died...
I ended up cranking on the car for a few mins while occasionally the car would start and die, then within about 5 mins I had pushed the car to the side of the road and tried a few more times, after that it had a really poor idle and it was smoking a lot, it was dark and the only lights around were those yellow big lights so I couldn't tell what color, but then a min of idleing it started doing better and I drove it another mile to my house...
SO like I said I'll check the modulator because that is the only thing I could ever imagine it being, I had just tested my fuel pump a week or so ago, and it was pumping 6 psi so I don't think it is a fuel problem it seems like somethins every once in a while is flooding the carb with inflammable stuff... thanks again for the insight...
John
Old 02-24-2006, 07:13 AM

Re: What's my problem ...?

I had a car like that. The tranny was fine . Turns out it was bad valve guides
Old 02-24-2006, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Racer
I had a car like that. The tranny was fine . Turns out it was bad valve guides
So.. was it also very random in when it messed up or was it constant, because right now my car is always ok when I can get home and check it, but generally when I don't have the ability or time to figure it out it seems to want to **** up on me...
Old 02-24-2006, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

But... I checked the mudulator vacuum line at the manifold and at the modulator and it all seemed ok, I smelled the hose on the intake side and it smelled like gas, but I assume that's normal, I wish I had more details, but this is all that seems to happen when I have a chance to look at it...
Old 02-24-2006, 01:17 PM

Re: What's my problem ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecGenLvr
So.. was it also very random in when it messed up or was it constant, because right now my car is always ok when I can get home and check it, but generally when I don't have the ability or time to figure it out it seems to want to **** up on me...
It had a slight puff of smoke when you started it up , but didn't smoke after that until it got hot . It was hard to see going down the road , but once and a while you would see the smoke in your rear view mirror . especialy at night in the headlights
I also noticed higher oil consumption. about a half quart every 500 miles
Doug
Old 02-24-2006, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

I don't have too bad of oil consumption, but I am running 20/50 with lucas stabalizer in it...
My consumtion was really bad before though....
I only have 162,000 miles on the car though...
I don't think it is the guides though because the smoke is random... like it has only happened at night...
and I know this because my car died, because of whatever the problem is, last night when I stopped at a stop light, I could have constant poor performance if it was the valve guides wouldn't I...
But after checking my modulator on the tranny for a ruptured diaphram, I checked all other vacuume lines to the carb and my PCV valve had a little oil on the vac side of the valve, is that normal, because it is a relatively new valve, could that be a cause of the problem, would that cause a reaction with my fuel mixture that'll kill my car?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I don't have too bad of oil consumption, but I am running 20/50 with lucas stabalizer in it...
My consumtion was really bad before though....
I only have 162,000 miles on the car though...
I don't think it is the guides though because the smoke is random... like it has only happened at night...
and I know this because my car died, because of whatever the problem is, last night when I stopped at a stop light, I could have constant poor performance if it was the valve guides wouldn't I...
But after checking my modulator on the tranny for a ruptured diaphram, I checked all other vacuume lines to the carb and my PCV valve had a little oil on the vac side of the valve, is that normal, because it is a relatively new valve, could that be a cause of the problem, would that cause a reaction with my fuel mixture that'll kill my car?
The guides could be random . As the oil pressure rises with RPM ,so does the amount of oil left up top ( in the valve covers )
NO., on constant poor perf.
Mucho oil up top will get by baffle into PCV,normal to see a little oil in PCV ,Could cause mixture problem. , but there is nothing written in stone when trouble shooting .Get a good book and start your process of elimination
Doug

Last edited by Drag Racer; 02-26-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

Well the problem is many troubleshooting beeks have common problems, and I get the feeling this problem isn't so common, I drove the car another 30 or so miles today and it was fine all day again...
Old 03-03-2006, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well the problem is many troubleshooting beeks have common problems, and I get the feeling this problem isn't so common, I drove the car another 30 or so miles today and it was fine all day again...
I meant to say books...
I have driven the car for a week now and all is ok... but it had smoked on me again the other night, but since then it has been fine still....
This is realy starting to bug me I'm thinking about buy a new car lol...
I don't know if you remember, but I just got done with like a one week trouble shoot for my cars last problem...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.