What's needed to wire a horn at the steering wheel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 10:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What's needed to wire a horn at the steering wheel?

My car has a vintage 1970 GM steering column that has been diaassembled more than a few times. I want to restore the electrical connection setup for the horn. I have purchased a new Grant steering wheel that came with a horn button. I have a horn. I need to know what goes between the two. The horn button attaches to the steering wheel, so it goes around and I know there is something that spins with the wheel so the horn button wire doesn't twist. What is it and where does it belong in the assembly? Also, my current OOGA horn is direct wired thru a momentary switch mounted on the dash. I have read that horns typically are operated thru a relay. Where is the relay usually found and how do I wire that into the setup? Is there a schematic on line that I can print and use as a reference?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 02:14 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Generally there is a spring loaded pin that presses against a ring. The ring spins with the steering wheel and the pin is stationary in the column. The ring is insulated from any metal. Power comes up to the pin from the relay and the horn button, when depressed, grounds to the steering wheel completing the circuit.

Horn relay can be located by following the horn wire back through the vehicle. Another method is to disconnect the horn wire. Then ground the wire in the column. You will hear the relay click.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:40 PM

The info is helpful, but I have more questions. I don't recall seeing any spring loaded pin. I assume there is a socket in the column to accept the pin. Is the pin fitted with a wire that passes thru the spring? My car does not have a relay. So where is it normally located? On the fuse panel? Or would it be one of the loose canisters that I see in the wire harness ads?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:48 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

I have a 79 and my relay is located on the upper drivers kick panel. Yours may not be locted in the same place. If you use the pin and ring style horn there should be a 1/4 inch hole for the pin in the column. Yes, the wire comes up through the spring.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:14 PM

Great! Thanks for the info. I'm heading out to the Goodguys show in Charlotte this weekend. I'll shop the swap meet for the parts I need.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd37
The info is helpful, but I have more questions. I don't recall seeing any spring loaded pin.

the little spring goes thru the hole in the adapter...lower right hand corner...

Take a jumper wire from the little metal part sticking out of the red circle ( yours may be a different color ) and touch the jumper to a good piece of metal which is making the circuit grounded... and the horn should blow.

IF it blows....you are set.......the brown ring with the wire hooked to it it the next step. It should touch the little metal rod and the wire attached to the horn button.....so that when the horn button is depressed......the ground circuit is complete and the horn will BLOW........

I have the same setup in my 32 Ford Roadster.

DEUCE.......
Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Horn relay

Doc here,

If you don't have the horn relay, you can wire one up the following way,

Get a relay, The coil connections will be fused constant 12 volts to one side, the ground to run up the steering column to the horn ring button.

The Contact side will be : The Normally open side to 12 volts fused constant feed, and the center Wiper to the horns...

That will Do it..

If the Car is stock, your relay should already be there, to check, look on the bottom of the steering column for the connector plug, There will be 2 black wires on that plug different size gauge wire..The smaller of the 2 will be the horn button/relay, to test, just jump a ground to it and you should hear a "Click" .. that is the wire you want.

Doc
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 PM

Hey guys I have the same question about my 54 chevy. I want to know how I can wire my horn button. I have a spring set up. My steering wheel is a butterfly repleca. I also have a 12 volt system on my car, I got it from ez wiring. The only wire I have is a horn wire coming from the fuse box. Now I need some help to run negative and positive wires. How do I set this up? Please help me with a diagram or picture. From that one wire coming from the fuse box, horn, horn relay, and horn button. How do I set all that up? I think Deuce had some pix showing the pin and how to hook up the wires, please Deuce help out a fellow hotrodder.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:38 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

That one wire from the fusebox goes too the horn button via the steering wheel harness .
What happens is this, that wire will attach too the horn button. When the button is pressed it will provide a ground to energize a relay on the fuse block that will in turn will blow the horn.

To see this for yourself just ground that wire from the fusebox and if the horn is wired it will blow the horn .

Now just connect the dots ..... wire too the horn button

very simple circuit to work with or troubleshoot ..
Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

Do you have a wiring diagram? There has never been a horn or a horn relay in you truck.
Thanks

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.