whats the quickest, cheapest car you have built? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

whats the quickest, cheapest car you have built?

ok, i see allot of people here that talk about the "sure fire way" or the "bullet proof combo" for going fast, reliably. which is good, because people like me need to know that stuff to build better in the future.

But this thread isn't for that, im looking for the junkyard jewels, the cars and engines that were forgotten until someone found it and threw out the rule book. Im talking about free parts, sand paper to clean parts, mis-matched equipment just to get the thing runnin at the track.

To start it, ill tell you mine. Its not as cheap or fast than most of the stuff im sure you guys have, but i think it works well for what Ive done.

1987 Camaro Z/28, found it in a field after two years, 305/700r4 combo but it came with a 3.73/locker rear end, (unfortunately its still a 7.5 10bolt) paid $500

I had a 010 block 350 laying around so i got it bored 030" over so i could fit a set of free flattop pistons and rods in. I traded the 305/700r4 (which only had 1st gear) for a set of fresh 1.94" heads, Weind intake, Blueracer 282 cam, and timing set. I had an old Holley 750dp i found in the barn i traded for a fresh 650 vac. and i backed it all with a t5 trans (because bicycles have two pedals, race cars have three )

The combo ran a best of 13.17@105 on street tires to save the rearend. the engine probably cost me around $700 under $1000 for sure.

So whats your story?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Not exactly what you are after here, but "fast on low bucks" reminds me of a touring NHRA top fuel team back in the late 60's early 70's called The Green Mountain Boys (at least that's the name I recall). Their theory was to run junk yard short blocks, no machine work whatsoever, install a big cam, racing heads and a big huffer on top. Then they would just grenade the motor every time down the track. They could then, usually, salvage the cam, heads and blower to slap on the next block in the trailer.

Obviously these were the days before "championships", "points" or oil down violations.

People used to time their trips to the hamburger stand based on when the GMBs were going to run...knowing their would be a long clean up lull after they made a pass.

Any of you other old geezers remember that crew?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:45 AM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I'm not an old geezer by a long shot but my family has been into NHRA since before I was a itch in my fathers . If you are referring to Jim Dunn aka Big Jim, he raced a car they called the GMB. Not sure if this was the car you were speaking of. He raced a bunch of different cars back in those days, all of them kind of odd for their day. He was known for some of his junkyard builds also. Heck of a driver and crew chief. Here is a link to his current team

http://www.canidaeracing.com/home.php

I only wish I could have lived in those days Drag racing was much more of a sport then. It seems now a days all they care about is sponsors and adds and publicity. Plus back then the cars were way cooler to me I really liked the old hemi's.

Last edited by TorkMonster400; 11-04-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

1984 olds 98+ 472 cad (had a miss,burnt a quart of oil every week, bad valve timing or bad chain i'm sure of it ) th400 tranny+2.56 gears+ cobbled together exhaust+driver thinkin his '95 buick 'riv supercharged shutoff at 30 mph+2000ish VW GTI driver lookin nervously over his shoulder=priceless
Ahhhhhh, i love domestics especially big blocks.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

I'm a year behind you cboy so I reckon I'm a freakin geezer also, I know i'm getting off track here but I first went to Lion's drag strip in 1958. Those guy's didn't have any custom stuff, nobody made it like they do now. If they needed something THEY made it. By the way the drags were GREAT back then, $.90 to get in and $.50 for a pit pass.......anywho my fastest cheapest car was a '70 240Z with a 355" SBC and a Muncie 4 spd...lot's of fun!!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 AM

Last photo:

alright guys good stuff, hot rodding at its best. your not getting off track, i love hearing about the old days. I wasnt fortunate enough to live in the leaded fuel days so its cool to hear some storys of the way it was when Detroit cared about speed
Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 AM

Last photo:

Automods....here's another tidbit, after I got my '56 Chevy I used to stop at the local Chevron station on the way to Lion's. I would "fill 'er up" with Chevron Custom Supreme....103 octane @ $31.9 a gal. bout $5.00 ....we called it the "pink stuff" and it smelled like REAL gas.

Also back then very few guy's had trailers except the dragsters...and then some of them were SCARY!!! Most of the fendered cars including blown gassers just pulled the slicks and hooked up a tow bar.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

When I read your guys posts about "the old days" it really makes me jealous and I would literally cut out a kidney with a pocket knife or something real extreme like that, just to go to one of those strips during any given week in the late 60's early 70's. It must have been amazing

When the scientific community says "we have discovered how to travel in time", I'm in line for going back to maybe 66 or 67. Their will probably be no reason to come pic me up in a week or so either, Just leave me be I think it would have been great to live when the big automakers of the US were competing for the "I've got the biggest trophy"

One day when any of you old geezers are down in sunny FL, look me up drinks and steaks on me, stories of the REAL gas on you
Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 AM

Last photo:

I really want to drive one of these in my lifetime
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dragSurfersPomona.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	33923  
Old 11-05-2008, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

in '75-'78 my dad raced a '67 Hemi Belvedere RO23 in SS/DA Div. 6. hes told me soo many storys about times when he would burn holes in pistons in between runs so they would pull the heads, weld the hole up with whatever they could find and grind 'er smooth for the next run. And he said he never had the top transmission bolts in because it was too hard to take them out in a pinch. Sounds like good times to me!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

"Fastest and Cheapest" had to be my '52 Ford with a 331 Hemi. I built this in high school back in 1962.

I paid $20 for the Ford (the flathead was blown up) and I got the Hemi out of a Chrysler that one of our neighbors had totaled in a roll over. I paid him $35 for the wreck. The motor mounts from J.C. Whitney were $19.95 and my dad and I cut the front half of the Chrysler drive shaft and the back half of the Ford driveshaft and then welded them together by slowly rolling them over a sheet of plywood. So the entire car cost me $75, including those high end graphics done with a house painting brush and and can of white enamal. Not the all time quickest car I ever built, since I kept the stock 2 barrel and factory automatic, but on a per-dollar basis it was far and away the "fastest and cheapest"

And speaking of early drag racing cars, here IS the quickest car I ever built. My C/Altered which I ran during the early 70's. Small block chevy, Chapman "funny car" chassis, Strange rear end, and clutch turbo transmission all under a hollowed out, steel, VW shell. But this one hardly qualifies for "fast/cheap"...more like "fast/money pit". But lots of fun. And yup, that's me under the hood putting in coolant for the next pass.

And I totally agree with the comments about the passing of drag racing's hay day. There was just something magic about the gassers, altereds and rails of the 50's, 60's and 70's.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

those look awsome, great pics. keep em comming
Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Back about 1987, I bought a plain-jane 82 Firebird for $3200. Not really cheap but the rest of the project was. I booted the 2.8 V6 and trans. Took a free 350 and did a build with standard crank kit, used domed pistons, had the stock heads redone with mild porting to clean up the ports, Comp cams 268H cam kit, an Edelbrock intake and q-jet carb, and BJ headers. Paid $75 for a TH350 trans, modified a Monza tailshaft to accomodate the torque arm since kits were not available back then, and added a B&M shift kit. It performed quite well for the $$$$ I invested. It was rocket off the line.
I later added a set of 4"- 4 into 1 sidepipes, louvres, a fiberglass twin turbo hood, and a set of Keystone Klassic wheels. I have often thought about building another one, but I am quite busy these days travelling to make a living.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:23 PM

I One of my best was in 1973 I bought a car for $300 from a friend of my first wife , girlfriend at that time . Her husband bought the car new in 1969 and it sat at his fathers house for a year or so with a stuck valve . I got the valve fixed for $35 . Put it back together and beat and raced the hell out of that car . All I ever did was put tires on it , gas in the tank and change the oil . Won a lot of races and tons of money street racing in the 70's . After a few years of that , my now wife kept giving me a ton of crap about me racing and all that stuff so I sold the car for $300 ! Sold the car in 1979 and got rid of my first wife too ! The part I forgot to mention was what the car was . I was the second owner of that car . It was a 1969 Dodge Super Bee , yellow with Black stripe !!! If we only new . My now wife of over 25+ years loves my cars and paid for a new garage for me last summer as a present ! I have a 55 Ford Fairlane and a 1937 Plymouth pick up, yes P/U and rare . Only made for 5 years . She helps me with what she can do and money that I can't even think of . I lost a good car but gained a GREAT WIFE !!!! Yes the great "Hay Days" are gone , but only to the ones that were never there . I loved every minute I had with all my cars and all the great times and fun I had with them . That is one thing NO one can ever take away from me !
So there is my story !

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.