whats the safe running temperature for air a compressor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

whats the safe running temperature for air a compressor?

Whats the safe running temperature for a air compressor? i have a 20 gallon 5hp(peak) Campbell housefeld unit and the cylinder head was at max 258 degrees Fahrenheit today and the motor was around 120.

Or do you guys even bother checking?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

After running the compressor for 12 min straight my valve area was about 260*F, the cylinder area was 150*F pump body area was 85*and tank temp was right at 100*F. This is with the breakin oil which is mobile Rarus 427, after breakin will go to Amsoil ISO 100 PCK which hopefully will run a little cooler. Motor temp was around 80*, 1" hose was 85* and first 5' of 1" pipe was almost 80* after which temp fell basically back to room temp of 71*. How long were you running it to get that temp?

Steve
Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

If I am going to do a big job, and the compressor is going to get a workout, I put a small squirell cage fan blowing directly on the cooling fins of the cylinder. I started doing this after I noticed smoke comming off the cylinder during a major job. So, a what temperature does the grit and grease on a compressor smoke? I dunno, but for me it was too hot. I'd say if you have temp concerns, buy a small fan for it like I did, it works great. I do the same for my welder also.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

There isn't much of a fan on these things - mine is the vanes on the compressor pulley. And without a supplementary fan runs quite hot - though not as high as reported in this thread.
The compressor should be in a place where there is some sort of air positive circulation and if you want it to live, almost any kind of a fan will help.

My compressor is a 6.5 Peak Hp 30 gallon Lowes/IR unit. They specifically say to not use any detergent oil because it will carbonize. My opinion of this is bull-pucky. LESS CARBON - that is one of the reasons for synthetics. They recommend 30 weight. I'm using 10-40 Castrol Syntec 50% synthetics/50% natural oil. The compressor is now running cooler which means less water vapor in the air lines, and hopefully means a longer life for the compressor, my water traps and my tools. I'll probably change to pure synthetic next time if the compressor survives this experiment. We'll see

Dave
Old 09-21-2006, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

I agree about the fan, I have a 36" that I would put on it if it was going to be run heavy. About compressor oil, the mobile rarus 427 I have in it for breakin has a pourpoint of 45* F and the amsoil it will be replaced with has a pourpoint of -45* F. From what I've been told it isn't good for the compressor to run much closer than 20* to the pourpoint of the oil, if it is -25* F I have no intention of being out in the barn. Flash point of this oil is 507* F so it should give good protection unless it is really being abused. Really like synthetic, run it in everything I have.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.