Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What's the secret/trick to skim coating panels
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is there a benefit to Slick Sand over Featherfill?

I think I"m going to pick me up some surfacer so I can try it. Since we're on that topic, I skimmed the majority of the roof with Platinum and then blocked much of it back off, using guidecoat. My guidecoat was coming off pretty well and I thought I had it so I threw 3 coats of SPI 2k down on that and blocked it. You already know by now what happened, and that's lots of low spots...one so bad that I could really feel it under my hand; I don't know how I EVER missed that one in the first place because I use my hands so much when blocking. Anyways, I had initially shot the roof with 2 coats epoxy, then I'm sure I had put 3 coats of 2k over that and blocked it down before deciding I was going to need to skim....but don't remember for certain.

I'm wondering if a sprayable poly is an option but my concern is that I'll be building too much on the roof and end up with spider webbing in the finish some day...

If only I knew Brian's advice then. I've always blocked these open flimsy panels lightly but it was never the feather touch Brian was describing. Nor was I ever cutting to the degree he was describing either.