Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What's the secret/trick to skim coating panels
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

anything before the final skim gets 40 grit unless I'm doing a production job with existing paint. Most of the times I'm coating something with epoxy on it or just bare metal so it's not an issue. I do most of my cutting with a mud hog then it's a block with 40 to true it up. The key to get yourself to a final skim is proper evaluation of the panel. Without that you're just fooling yourself. Before I lay anything on it I know exactly where everything is. I then spot fill certain areas after metal work so when I skim coat that one area that's a little lower than the rest it isn't gonna make that skim coat a waste of time. My tool to find everything out about a panel is good hand feel from multiple directions, guidecoat, and/or blocking on it to reveal to me where it's messed, but it's a culmination of all this, not just one of them. Sometimes guidecoat won't tell you jack but your hand feel will, and sometimes it's the opposite.