Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What's the secret/trick to skim coating panels
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Before you have no hair left at all ,Try this:
When a high spot pops up just look under the hood....Is there a half dollar size ,rubbery cushon there that the factory uses to fasten the outter skin to the inner structure?????
Usually this is the case and whats happening is your flexing the outer skin over that spot temporarily making it high and sanding the surronding area exageates it by making everything around it low....
Sometimes just the slightest touch is all thats needed for them to raise their ugly heads....
Try hot gluing some paint sticks to the under side to stiffen it all up (the more the better) when your all done just remove the paint sticks and nobody will ever know....
As for your bondo running out before you get to the end of the hood. Heres a couple things you can do that will help speed things up..instead of mixing your filler with your spreader (slooooow) use a paint stick and stir it up till its mixed fairly well THEN use your spreader ,all it'll take is a few pats and its done ...this will shave quite a few minutes off the mixing that you can add to the spreading...
instead off pulling the filler off the pallet every time just dump it ALL on the hood ,some where you start spreading ,some in the middle and some at the end.Think of how they dump dirt when they build a road they put piles of dirt every so many feet then as they bulldoze it and start running out of dirt theres another pile before it runs out... Right? same thing....
You sound like me when I first started...I had a tough time getting it right, I was never good enough to please myself .it took a lot of help and pointers from a lot of guys .....
theres two more things I almost forgot...sometimes the rubbery glue that bonds the outter skin to the inner structure comes undone allowing the skin to move freely causing even more trouble and you'll need to re glue the two pieces before you can get any decient results( again the more the better)...
AND the beauty of sanding the bondo while its soft is you can fill only the low spots without having to skim the whole panel every time, try it you'll see what I mean right off...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 04-24-2012 at 08:11 AM.