Whats The Ultimate Street/Strip Combo? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 01:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Whats The Ultimate Street/Strip Combo?

Anyone know of any awesome engine combo's for a SBC 350/355/383 ect, I'm talking atleast 450HP and still streetable, Car weighs approx 2750 pounds tranny is undecided at this time, anyone know of the "ultimate" combo?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2004, 01:49 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

on a street machine, I wouldn`t waste my time trying to make horsepower. Torque is what moves all that sheet metal around, not horsepower. a high torque engine is what makes a car fun to drive, a hole shot that slams you back in the seat, the feeling of how hard it`s pulling under acceleration, how the engine seems to move the car effortlessly, the sensitivity when you just tap the pedal is all by torque. so for the ultimate combo, the most cubic inches is always best. a 383 or a 400 since were talking small blocks, both will make lots of torque, instead of shooting for 450 horse power, why not shoot for 450 ft/lbs of torque? good heads, valve train, a decent compression ratio, a tight quench clearence, a good intake, ignition, exhaust system with decent rear gears all work together to make a good street machine. it`ll also make good horsepower as well. it won`t be near as hard on the engine because you won`t have to rev it to hel* to make power.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:48 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Ditto DV.... Build for low end and midrange torque. Something that will pull from 1500 to 5500 RPM. 383 or 406c.i. Built 700R4 for two reasons. 3.06 1st gear and 0.7 Overdrive in 4th. Run a set of 3.90 or 4.10 gears with some ET Streets and I guarantee you will have a tuff to beat combo on the street and it will still be very drivable on the highway. And don't be suprised if it pulls some decent milage numbers also.
Mark
Old 01-29-2004, 05:18 AM

Also your intake and exhaust makes alot of difference. Set up your exhause for good scavaging.

Depending on your setup, if it is going to have really high tourque numbers you may wanna put on a single plane to help out in the upper end so you don't have to shift early.

If you need MORE bottom end tourque, go dual plane.

If you need something in between, air gap or a tall dual plane will work.

Henry
Old 01-29-2004, 10:35 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Check out this motor. You would be looking at around 500hp and 500 tq on pump gas.

Adam

http://www.hotrodders.com/t33064.html
Old 01-29-2004, 01:20 PM

There's no replacement for displacement. Or something like that.... what is your purpose for the car? You're looking for the ultimate, but that could be a lot of different things... ultimate tire smoker, top speed king, 1/4 mile monster, reliable daily driver. Once you know what you want the car to do it should be easy to figure out how to get there.

With a street / strip car you will always be compromising some amount of each. Be honest with yourself about what that ratio should be, and your choices for cam/intake/carb/etc will be a lot easier.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:46 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

From what I have seen, Your best bet for heads is AFR. As long as you match the parts well, any CNC ported AFR head will make great hp. The most important thing when building a motor is to get the right combonation of parts. You can have the best heads in the world, and if the other parts dont match, the motor wont run good.

Good luck
Adam
Old 01-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I have well over 400 hp with 15 miles to the gallon. My engine idles smoothly at 600 rpms and my vacuum is at 19 in.

I have an 11:1 400 with Sportsman II heads and a lot of extras.

Here is the kit I used for my bottom end:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5&category=317

Build a 400 if you want the fastest streetable SBC.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.