Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats ur thoughts on these rod/main bearings
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
this is my friends 3.1L v6 with a turbo about 120k on the engine and he managed to break the 2nd ringland on the number 6 pistons.

he just bought a house so he wants to get this back together as cheap as possible, as it would be a waste to spend the money on the 3.1 when he can build a 3.4L for the same money.which wont be till next year since he just bought a house.

so the plan is new ring set, 6 new hyper psitons and do a quick flexhone job to get the rings to seat.

my thoughts on the bearings are just to reuse the originals since they are worn in anyplace that needs clearance and they dont look bad.

what do u guys thing would u resuse them or would u slip new bearings in there even though the crank has some slight scoring from dirt passing threw.

the engine ran perfect, had great oil presure before it was torn down, it just had low compression in num 6 as the second ring was broke due to the cracked ringland
The right way and the cheap way don't always coincide. Rarely, actually. If this engine is not a keeper, reuse the bearings and crank as is. Unless the engine is coming all the way apart and thoroughly cleaned, the new bearings on a polished crank will look the same as it does now in a thousand miles anyway.