Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats ur thoughts on these rod/main bearings
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
The right way and the cheap way don't always coincide. Rarely, actually. If this engine is not a keeper, reuse the bearings and crank as is. Unless the engine is coming all the way apart and thoroughly cleaned, the new bearings on a polished crank will look the same as it does now in a thousand miles anyway.
thats kinda my thoughts on the whole deal, i mean if he didnt break a piston.(mostly caused by the way over tight top ring gap) this engine would have ran another 100k

the engine is comming all the way apart so he can hone the cyls and clean the block but its not getting hot tanked or anything, he will be doing it in his garage.

this engine is more of an an experiment for him as he is very new to turbos and tunning the fuel injection system, thats the reason for doing it cheap as possible.

when he first started he wanted to pull the original engine and build a 3.4 with better parts but i talked him out of it cause i new he would hurt the engine eventually

without having to touch the crank or bearings this is the cost so far

speedpro pistion and moly ring set 102$'s
flex hone 30 bucks
+ whatever the machine shop wants install the new pistons on the rods
gasket set 50 bucks

so without the additional 200 bucks or so to have the crank done its damn cheap, and is perfect for hm incase he blows up up again, once he knows the thing isnt going to detonate or blow up again then he can step upto a good built 3.4L engine

he just stepped up up from a t04b turbo to a gt3582 so were the t04b made 350ish hp @ 16/17 psi. The gt3582 is going to make that at around 9/10 psi,and at 16/17 psi it should be making 425hp . so there is a good chance hes going to hurt this engine again anyways