Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats ur thoughts on these rod/main bearings
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
If the engine is coming all the way apart, I'd tend to side w/the "polish the crank and replace bearings" crowd. Mic the journals carefully to be sure there's no factory undersized sized journals involved so you're not tripped up by that and you should be OK as long as you're giving it a good cleaning. The added cost should be in the area of $100. If you choose to go this route be sure the crank is polished in the direction of rotation.

If that's still too much, I have polished (and removed storage surface rust) from my own cranks using a piece of leather strap wrapped around the journal to hold a piece of 600 grit wet or dry paper wetted w/solvent (like WD-40). Pulling on the ends of the strap in a back and forth motion will take the worst high spots off the crank journals and costs basically nothing but your time. Bearings can be had for well under $50.
thanks he has the tools to mic the journals and bores and everything is well within spec.

if he does go the polishing / ne wbearing route i have told hime he needs to spend money and go with king engine bearings

my old shop trusted these bearings in everything form top alky engines to dialy drivers even down to our shops bobcat and forklift. i personally use king and nothing else

if he goes with the polish i told him to get them .002 undersized for some high rpm use

my motor which has been bulletproof is .002 under on rods, and i belive the same on mains , along with a modified oil pump and it lives happpily at 8,000+ rpms