What's wrong with this 10 bolt rear end? Caliper orientation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's wrong with this 10 bolt rear end? Caliper orientation

Here is a picture of the axle as I purchased it:

Here is a picture of the passenger's side

Here is a picture of the driver's side

Is this the way the 10 bolt rear end is setup from the factory? This is the way it was when I bought it. It seems weird that one caliper would be oriented one way and the opposite caliper orientated 180degrees differently.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

look at the bleeders on the calipers. If they are both on top it could be made that way.What is it out of?
I would guess the passenger side is all wrong. can it be phased 180 degrees by rmoving the caliper and mount/backing plate and re orienting it?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 PM
33 Pontiac 3W Sport Coupe

Looks good. Both bleeders look to be pointing up.

Last edited by MRTS33; 09-19-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

I buy Ford 8.8's out of crown vics for my rear housing cores. They also have calipers on opposite sides like that. Best explanation I have for it is that they do this so they can use the same caliper for right and left, leaving less inventory for the fleet owners like taxi cab companies and law enforcement, which like to use the Crown Vic. I suspect that that rear may be out of a Caprice, also a popular taxi and cop car.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisr
Best explanation I have for it is that they do this so they can use the same caliper for right and left, leaving less inventory for the fleet owners like taxi cab companies and law enforcement, which like to use the Crown Vic. I suspect that that rear may be out of a Caprice, also a popular taxi and cop car.
You are exactly correct. Only one caliper design is required, not RH/LH. This is GM cost cutting. No worries about the assembly line worker installing the wrong one. Only one P/N to inventory. The drum brakes from the 1980s are the same way. On older cars the e-brake cable would come out of the backing plate towards the front, requiring RH/LH backing plates and internal e-brake levers. In the 1980s GM used the same backing plate on both sides so all that hardware is the same. Yeah, the passenger side cable comes out the back, but it just loops over to the driver's side anyway.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You are exactly correct. Only one caliper design is required, not RH/LH. This is GM cost cutting. No worries about the assembly line worker installing the wrong one. Only one P/N to inventory. The drum brakes from the 1980s are the same way. On older cars the e-brake cable would come out of the backing plate towards the front, requiring RH/LH backing plates and internal e-brake levers. In the 1980s GM used the same backing plate on both sides so all that hardware is the same. Yeah, the passenger side cable comes out the back, but it just loops over to the driver's side anyway.
This makes sense of the current layout. I will check to make sure both bleed screws are pointing up.

I dont know what this rear end is from. I was told it was from a camaro. You can see the panhard bar mount casted into the diff. case.
It is a 10 bolt with factory disc brakes which i believe is F body camaros and firebirds.
It is also possi trac!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

Alot of vehicles use that arrangement. One reason is to help balance the braking force on a solid axle.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport
Alot of vehicles use that arrangement. One reason is to help balance the braking force on a solid axle.
I understand your point and I use to think the same way. But, I learned in my Vehicle Dynamics class that this is not a true scenario.
Because braking force is always in the same direction, which is not affected my caliper orientation.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

looks like a typical 3rd gen rearend. calipers are the same part #. the backing plates have offset bolt pattern so that they cannot be bolted on any other way. my rearend came off a 96 trans am and had the same setup with 3.27 posi gear in it. all 92 to 02 camero, trans am and firebirds are the same. nice thing about it is the 2 big bolt hole for the torque bar. i mounted mine on leaf springs and added the torque bar to keep the rear end from rotating up.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
looks like a typical 3rd gen rearend. calipers are the same part #. the backing plates have offset bolt pattern so that they cannot be bolted on any other way. my rearend came off a 96 trans am and had the same setup with 3.27 posi gear in it. all 92 to 02 camero, trans am and firebirds are the same. nice thing about it is the 2 big bolt hole for the torque bar. i mounted mine on leaf springs and added the torque bar to keep the rear end from rotating up.
Are all these rear ends a 3.27? Becuase I was told that this is a 3.55 Possi
I wish this rear end didn't have those two big holes for the torque bar, I AM RUNNING A 4LINK

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.