Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Whats Wrong With Grease Guns ??? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/whats-wrong-grease-guns-118443.html)

Guy Hiltz 06-19-2007 03:01 AM

Whats Wrong With Grease Guns ???

I bought the very best hand held grease gun that NAPA offers,buy good quality grease,but I seem to always have some kind of problem with it.I actually went through 3 guns at NAPA with their manager even getting his hands dirty before we found one that worked.It seems like most of the time I end up throwing the grease cartridge away even when it still has grease in it because nothing will come out,then other times you have to pump like crazy before any grease does come out.Am I doing something wrong ?? It drives me CRAZY,please help....

302 Z28 06-19-2007 05:46 AM

Chinese imports :pain: . I have a grease gun that is over 40 years old that still works perfectly. Guess where it's made?

Vince

John Wohlfeil 06-19-2007 07:41 AM

Grease

I've been swearing at grease guns for 50 years! Every time you change the tube you get covered with the stuff! Somebody needs to re-design the thing! 3w

hyarbour 06-19-2007 07:51 AM

re: Whats Wrong With Grease Guns

The biggest problem usually turns out to be air in the grease. Just a little bubble in the tube getting up unto the pump cylinder screws them up. Try taking the tip off the gun and pumping it a few times to try clearing it.

joe_padavano 06-19-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyarbour
The biggest problem usually turns out to be air in the grease. Just a little bubble in the tube getting up unto the pump cylinder screws them up. Try taking the tip off the gun and pumping it a few times to try clearing it.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had any of these problems. I have a variety of grease guns, US and foreign made, pump and air-powered, and all work fine with no issues. There really isn't a lot of technology to it.

brian0605 06-19-2007 09:29 AM

You have a trapped air bubble. remove the cartridge. take some grease from your Wheel bearing tub and pack some down into the pump head. If your grease gun doesn't have an air purge on top. little button you push down while pushing the rod back in. Then screw the cartridge housing on till hand tight then back off about 1-1/2 turns.Then push the rod back in. This will help release any trapped air.Then tighten the housing. Once you get the gun working. let gravity help you. Hang the gun so that it is pump end down. They can be a pain in the buttocks. But the method I gave above has worked well for me. Brian

larryblack 06-19-2007 12:51 PM

I take and pull the plunger fully back like I was going to load a new cartridge. Then let it go, it tends to push the air out.

BTW, what brand is your grease gun? I have a 20+ year old PLEWS that works just like the 5 year old one I have.

Guy Hiltz 06-20-2007 03:04 AM

I never expected this many replies,thanks for the suggestions.I'll try and get any air bubbles out and hang it upside down next time.As for brand,its the UAP/NAPA brand.

Ed ke6bnl 06-20-2007 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Hiltz
I never expected this many replies,thanks for the suggestions.I'll try and get any air bubbles out and hang it upside down next time.As for brand,its the UAP/NAPA brand.

I have had a lot of bad luck with new grease guns and have gone to buying them at yard sales from people who have had them 20 or so years and the other junk I had is obsolete. Ed ke6bnl

61bone 06-20-2007 06:55 PM

Guess working greaseguns is like opinions and them round things. What I do is pull the plunger back, insert new tube, screw cap on one thread, release plunger, wait a minute then tighten, swear for a minute or two then it pumps fine. This way works without the swearing too, but isn't near as much fun. :)
It also helps if you take the little metal tab out of the end of the tube :D .

jimfulco 06-20-2007 08:54 PM

Biggest problem I've had was that none of the stinkin things ever came with any kind of instructions. My dad bought one recently that actually had an instruction sheet with it, and mine works much better now.

brian0605 06-20-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61bone
Guess working greaseguns is like opinions and them round things. What I do is pull the plunger back, insert new tube, screw cap on one thread, release plunger, wait a minute then tighten, swear for a minute or two then it pumps fine. This way works without the swearing too, but isn't near as much fun. :)
It also helps if you take the little metal tab out of the end of the tube :D .

OH NO! I find that if you don't swear a few times and threaten to throw it in the garbage it won't start pumping :D .Brian

docvette 06-21-2007 01:55 AM

Doc here, :pimp:

I've never, Ever, had a problem with grease guns..in all my years.. :D

And the remedy is soooo simple.. :confused:

Simply pay the guy at jiffy Boob $20 Fazools to do it for you... :thumbup:

By the time you blow up 2 or 3 "Well Engineered" grease guns,...

4 or 5 tubes of gloppy~Arsed grease dripping all down your sleeve and shirt, filling your breast pocket..(making your non~Filter camels smoke like they need a ring job..)

Snapping off a few Zerk Fittings, trying to "Hold the day~um gun" , Pump the Day~um thing..and hold the Day~um Greasy hose tightly on the Day~um zerk fitting..(The instructions NEVER told you: You are Required to grow a third Arm/hand For this operation) ...

Reinventing the wheel to try and get the now busted Zerk fittings Out of what was previously a well greased pivot point..

Finding out that Grease Really Smokes a long time on hot headers..and seems to live forever under intense heat..and smells like a BBQ at a wrecking yard..

Using 196 Red shop rags for 12 zerk fittings..that seem to leak like a sieve..

Finding that a greased Drive belt is NOT necessarily a good thing for continuous operation..

Two hours in the shower...

One point Five hours Cleaning the ring out of the tub, and sink bowl..

two hours washing the towels and wash cloths (along with your shirt..Two More bottles of shout..)

Four hours in the Laundromat..

Two bottles of shout applied to the shirt..

One New pack of Camels...

30 minutes of cleaning it off your shoe sole..(after you tracked it across the white carpet to the bathroom and kitchen to get another brewski..)

2 Bottles of Resolve Carpet cleaner..

Rental of Steam cleaner Before the main squeeze gets home...(and REALLY gives you a grease job..)

Watching Fido, cover his ears and eyes with his paws, in total disdain, knowing full well, If you don't clean this disaster up before the Female of the Species returns home..you'll be sharing the "Bunk house tonight" in the backyard together again..

Watching the Young Tech at Jiffy Boob inflict all this self abuse upon himself for $8 Fazools an hour..PRICELESS!!! :thumbup: :D :cool:

That $20 Fazools don't look so awfully bad now...

Doc :pimp:

Guy Hiltz 06-21-2007 03:23 AM

Hey Doc,that just cracked me up !!!!
I might just print that off and frame it... LOL
But I bet if the grease gun was powered be electricity you could take your DVOM and find a way to fix it..
Thanks for a laugh to start my day with.

T-bucket23 06-21-2007 08:33 AM

I have my original Craftsman gun I bought in 1973 and it still works mint. It has never given me a moments grief. The new ones are crap.