What's wrong with my tranny ???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 02:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's wrong with my tranny ????

I have an '85 Vette with a 700r4. I drove it last week about 200 miles and it ran perfect. I came home and parked it in the shop and the wanted to drive it today but it won't shift out of low gear. I don't see a vacuum moduleator on it like the old 350/400's, could it be electrical??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY GRAPE
I have an '85 Vette with a 700r4. I drove it last week about 200 miles and it ran perfect. I came home and parked it in the shop and the wanted to drive it today but it won't shift out of low gear. I don't see a vacuum moduleator on it like the old 350/400's, could it be electrical??
usually when that happens? the problem is the Governor" It`s a round looking cover at the rear(just behind the pan), pry off of the cover(careful not to damage o-ring seal) and pull out the Governor out" inspect the gear" it is plastic and probably broken? you can get a new gear anywhere tranny parts are sold!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

I pulled the cover off and checked the gear, it was fine. Any other ideas? A sticky valve or something?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I pulled the cover off and checked the gear, it was fine. Any other ideas? A sticky valve or something?
did you put the gear back in? if not check the valve inside the Governor for freedom of movement by holding the gear with your finger and squeezing the weights together with your free hand, i apologize for not mentioning this before! 9 times out of 10 the gear is wiped out?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

I put it back together, but I can pull it apart again. The cover is a pain in the *** because the exhaust is right in the way.What do I look for when I hold the gear and squeeze the weights? I have another 700r4 setting in the shop, I could just swap gov's. and see what happens. Whatever happened to my tranny, happened between shutting it off one night and starting it the next day (that quick).

Last edited by STATUTORY GRAPE; 11-07-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I put it back together, but I can pull it apart again. The cover is a pain in the *** because the exhaust is right in the way.What do I look for when I hold the gear and squeeze the weights? I have another 700r4 setting in the shop, I could just swap gov's. and see what happens. Whatever happened to my tranny, happened between shutting it off one night and starting it the next day (that quick).
what you want to look at is the valve inside(between the slots) should move freely without sticking? you could try the other Governor but that one could have a sticky valve also and change your shift points if it was not from a corvette tranny?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

So the plastic gear on one end and the governor on the other end should spin inside the slotted casing?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

the whole Governor turns inside the case bore but only when the tranny is in operation! the Governor should lock in when you install it with a slight twist to engage the gear, when in operation, the weights spread apart pushing the valve inside the Governor toward the gear end shifting the transmission! if the the gear is chipped,broke,or the valve IN the Governor is sticking your tranny will not shift"
Old 11-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

I noticed on this car before I switched the guage cluster that when the wires to the guage cluster were hooked up the car shifted really radical, even at half throttle it would jump into high gear real hard. While I was waiting for my new guage cluster, I drove it a while without guages so the wires were NOT hooked up and then the tranny shifted fine. Any ideas on that?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

there is a buffer in the dash that does convert a signal to the ecm but not inside the cluster itself. these usually do not go bad"

Last edited by ronb; 11-09-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

What about the what? :confused ....Did you doze off
Old 11-09-2005, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
What about the what? :confused ....Did you doze off
LOL" must have had a seizer??? was going to ask if you had an electronic speedo on your car? in which case to check the VSS" the 85 has a mechanical one right??

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.