Whats wrong with the performer rpm cam?. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2002, 01:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Whats wrong with the performer rpm cam?.

I recently jus got hooked up really good with edelbrock parts for cheap i got performer rpm heads, rpm cam, and rpm air gap intake for 700$ but im hearing all this talk about the rpm cam barely being legal and not living up to its standards all this is going on my street car (70 elco) wouldnt this be great working with the rest of the rpm parts with the 1500-6500 rpm range??
let me know what your 2 cents is on all of this it would be great to hear what you guys think. thnx.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2002, 01:15 AM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Well considering the fact that they are all in the same series and offerd in a RPM kit direct from Edelbrock they should work great for you and great together. I've used the performer RPM cam and intake setup in two different cars and I thought it worked quite well. I have never purchased the heads, but I'm sure they would just add to the power making team. That was my penny and a half.

HK
Old 11-11-2002, 01:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Don't believe the gossip, they work just fine.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:23 AM

Last photo:

I had two go flat on me, Edelbrock gave me credit for them. The quality sucked, there was casting flash between the lobes that would hit the lifters and needed to be ground off before I could even use them. They only lasted 15-20 minutes so I can't tell you how well they worked.
I did nothing but flush the engine out and install a comp 284XE and it ran fine since.
I used the rpm airgap with vortec heads in a 357 with 11:1 compression, the engine now runs low 12's in a 4000 pound truck. (I no longer own it)
Old 11-11-2002, 10:29 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

As long as you have the compression and gear for it you should have a nice upper rpm screamer.Don't try to put it in w/ 3.08 gears and 8:1 compression or you'll probably leave the tree as fast as a school bus full of senior citizens.
Most people are prolly sayin that they don't like the compromise.The more the rpm range goes up the idle gets rougher and the milage goes down and the higher stall converters on the street and so on.But hey its a hotrod its spossed to idle snotty and kill gas and scream.
Just my $49.95+tx
Old 11-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

I agree, the only thing that I can think of is that it will probably have a rough idle and no power down low. Just get a lower gear ratio and a stall converter and you should be fine. Its what edelbrock recomends in its catalogue. WHen it says 1500-6500 it means you won't have significant power till at least 1500rpm.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

I ran this combo in a Oldsmobile 350. I am not sure of the compression because I had Dan Dvorak in Waldo, Florida build it and just told him I would be driving it on the street. I used a Quadrajet on it and had to slightly tighten up the secondary air-valve door spring due to the combination being a little soggy before 2000-2500 rpm. I don't believe their 1500 rpm power band starting point buuuuuuuuuuut they may be right. Its kind of difficult to feel a 10hp increase at that low an rpm unless you have something to measure your 60ft time or dyno the engine.
As far as quality, two of the other guys rpm cams went flat, mine didn't and so have many others not go flat. I would sure hope that Edelbrock is not doing the off shore manufacturing thing. I may ignorant and thick headed but I don't believe anything that used to be made in the USA that is now made offshore is worth a flip. Call em up and ask them where there stuff is made before buying, happy rodding.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Until my present engine have often used this combination with good sucess. There may better camshafts for a particular level of performance, but this is a good day to day combo.

If someone flattened lobes - the camshaft was most likely installed incorrectly without assembly lube or the engine oiling system wasn't primed properly.

As far as flash between the lobes hitting lifters - I very much doubt it. The lobe grinding stones are wider than each lobe and will overlap the dead space between lobes. If someone chooses to cut the flash back some more, he is doing it at his own peril on a cast iron camshaft - they all are cast iron until you go to a roller camshaft.

With manufacturing, NAFTA has opened US - Mexican and Canadian borders to some cost reductions that really are detrimental to a companies good name.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

I think the big problem with the Edelbrock cam is the large hydraulic intensity - 74, compared to numbers in the 45-50 range for a similar modern design cam.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Yall do realize this post is 4 years old?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Is there a time limit or something? Has the cam changed specs?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Double,
They are still making that particular cam 4 years later, it would not be fair to a 16 year old or to the company to come upon wives tales of one companies cam going flat without looking into everything. Think about it, some of the import cars are still manufactured with non hydraulic cam followers and how many people swear up and down that "oh you have to keep adjusting a solid cam every 2,000 miles bla bla bla". Thats a wives tale. If the adjuster didn't move and none of the parts wore, then why must you adjust? The answer is you don't. We have used flat tappet cams for eons, the RPM cam is good with the right gears and stall like they "recommend". Do all RPM cams wear out lobes? No. Why did Jason have a problem with two RPM cams and no one else has? And yes, Irelands Child is right, it is literally impossible to leave casting flash above a machined/ground surface unless its a bur hanging on for dear life which would immediately fall off when touched by the lifter causing no damage. However in all my 11+ years of grinding, I never ever had a bur stick up above the ground surface when finish ground.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:12 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

The cams are made by federal mogul and if you look for it you can find one witht he same specs for half price from NAPA- withthe right part number of course. They work ok... they're not the best, but they work and have limited valvetrain problems. Personally I like pushing it to the edge, but it wears parts faster. Erson cams are the same story- lazier lobes that work, but are not the most aggressive/efficent. If you break them in right- or even half-azzed close to right they will not go flat.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Mine wore out the guides twice with the high lift over duration. Then I put 1.6 rockers on it. No more guide problems but had short spring life.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Thats not my point, the point is the guy who posted it hasn`t been on this site since 2002 and it`s not doing him much good now, and most of the others who replied to this question then are either no longer on this site or posting anymore. The cam in question has no meaning to me because I don`t use edelbrock cams, or carbs, I only use there intakes, I don`t waste my time with flat tappet cams even so I never had one go flat, I already learned once you go roller you never go back. If the issue of these cams was still coming up then why not do a new post on it or place it in the knowledge base of this site?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.