What's your best advice - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,084 Posts
Yep, there is some good stuff here. And like we say about how great the net is to work on cars, it is just as good for learning about running a business isn't it!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

Something that came up in another thread. This is one of your number one mistakes people make building a car be it as a hobby or at a shop.

Don't use a part on a car simply because you "have it".

Everything you do do that car should be because it's the best thing to do, be it looks or works the best. Sure there is a little gray area there, obviously you don't need to go out and get the best Championship Quickchange rear for $5K. Maybe it should be worded "use the best you can afford and makes sense".

But for goodness sakes don't stuff that 389 Pontiac in your 46 Dodge just because "you have it". Is it what you WANT? Is it the motor you REALLY want? If it isn't, go get the one you want.

Brian
Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

True Brian, a build should be what the builder wants and not necessarily what the builder has and if you don't have what you want right now, save, trade, wait, it's good advice to do any of those 3 things, you will be happier in the long run. Now that being said...I find nothing wrong with stuffing a Pontiac into a 46 Dodge if that's what you want...very few people would say a word if it was a Small Block Chevy going into a 46 Dodge....they seem to be OK with any vehicle. Back in the late 50's when there where enough wrecked 55 and up Chevy's in the wrecking yard is when the SBC craze came about...before that it was the big cube Cadillac's, the larger block Nail Heads, some early Hemi's and the huge Lincoln motors that filled the engine bays replacing the old technology Ford Flathead (though I still love the looks of a flathead in an early Ford), I say why not Pontiac...but than I love Pontiac's so I may be a little biased to putting a Pontiac in anything...in the end, it is what ever the builder wants, our hot rodding roots almost mandate that.

Brian I do understand...I can't see a 55 Chevy with a MOPAR 440, a Corvette with a 428 SCJ or a 2008 Challenger with an LS7...those might be sacreligus to me, so where do we draw the line...I guess we don't, we leave the creativity up to the builder, no matter how much we don't understand their line of thinking...it's not for us, it what makes the owner/builder/driver or all three happy. I'm sure the first guy to put anything but a flathead in a Ford Hot Rod was looked at a bit sideways, yet that's how much of it all began.

Just my thoughts, I'm not a purest at heart when it comes to older vehicles, just the ones that I think are classics, but then isn't a 32 Ford Roadster a classic now?

Ray
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Sorry, I Kelly...I think this thread just got High Jacked...My bad...so lets get it back on track.

Yes build what you want, not what you have.

Sorry Kelly.

Ray
Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

I'm with you Ray, I had seriously thought about putting a 425 Buick in my 64 Corvette coupe just to watch the look on the faces of the people peering into the engine compartment at the shows.

But again, what we "want", is it something we will be keeping? Because putting a Pontiac 389 in that 40 Ford coupe is KILLING the resale value and saleability. So even though it may make your heart sing, is it the best thing to do?

Believe me, there is no one who is more turned off by the zillion small block Chevys out there but resale has to be thought of too.

Brian
Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Sorry, I Kelly...I think this thread just got High Jacked...My bad...so lets get it back on track.

Yes build what you want, not what you have.

Sorry Kelly.

Ray
This isn't a highjack at all Ray, it's building suggestions.

Brian
Old 03-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

[QUOTE=MARTINSR;1656448]This isn't a highjack at all Ray, it's building suggestions.

Brian[/QUOTE

Oh Good, I didn't want to get that saddled with being that High Jacker guy.

Ray

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.