What's your best 'Barn' find ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2004, 07:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's your best 'Barn' find ?

OK Guys , let's hear it . What's been your best ever barn find ? . Something you stumbled across while out driving , local folklore that you checked out and found it to be true, something somebody told you about ???????????????

Somebody start then I'll tell mine

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2004, 08:36 AM

Last photo:

Drove by my '69 Mustang Coupe in another town. He knew it was a Ford, but always referred to it as 'the red car'. It was abandoned in a garage for a few years. He used it as a dirt track car in the 6 cyl series thinking 'old muscle' could wina race. He only raced it twice and realized when he started getting lapped, maybe this wasn't the right car for the job.

It only had a few bangs on the fenders, doors and quarters. Mostly driver's side (he stayed to the outside, but the faster cars always drifted up in the turns)

He was so disappointed he really wanted to get it out of his sight, he told me $1200 and I could drive it home. I acted like I wanted to see what else he had, and showed some interest in a Dodge.

Went back the next day with $700 cash, signed the title, and drove 'the red one' 30 miles with open headers with my friend following me. Can we say. . . . LOUD!!!!!!!!!!

MoocH
Old 01-16-2004, 08:49 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Well I didn't exactly find it in a barn, but it was kinda weird how I did come across it, IT happens to be a 48 Anglia Thames Panel, I was working on my back gate , putting up a big overhead rail for a sliding gate to roll on, and was kinda struggling with it , this guy was driving by, and pulled over and came to give me a hand, he helped me get the beam secured, and we started B.S. n about hotrods of course, he has a home shop just up the street from me,and works on hotrods also, but I had never seen his garage, so I didn't know this car was there, he told me that his brother had a anglia that he had started back in the early 70's, but quit working on it up untill last year, and had sent it to him from San Diego for him to finish, he had barely got started on it when his brother found a 57 chev and wanted him to do it insted, so the Anglia was just sitting again, So I made the comment that maybe he wanted to sell it, knowing well that I sure as hell didn't need any more projects, but his reply was that he didn't think that his brother would ever sell it, so after a little more B.S. n , he left, a few days later the door bell rang and I answered it and it was him, He said that he had called his Bro, and ask if he wanted to sell the Anglia, He did , so I'm thinking " what the hell am I gonna do now ? I offer to buy something with the knowledge that I can't afford it , so I tell him that I will go take a look at it,, he wanted 3K the way it set, OK I'll go take a look, I get up there and this is what I found, minus the motor , it had been in his bro's garage since the early 70's it has a Chris Alston tube frame , with coil overs on all 4 corners, with a dropped axle in front, 57 Olds rear, the wheels and tires are brand new, in 1970, never been turned over, polished us indys with the old pro trac racing profile big meats and matching 4" wheels and tires in front, I couldn't get my money out fast enough, the rear doors were in perfect shape, they have aluminum doors and are usually beat to hell. I sold them to a guy in Wisconson for 700. bucks, Iplan on building a clam shell type door, the orig. ones were UGLY, I have since set it up with the blown SBC, but have since changed my mind and now I'm having a blown BBC built for it, so there you have a long story, but thats how it came about, maybe someday I will get it done, I have bought a set of Baer Brakes and a raderator and gages, etc etc, little at a time,

sorry bout the long post guys, I just get Carried away sometimes, BILL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1051  
Old 01-16-2004, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

Good find MoocH and by the look of your gallery it's shaping up real nice .

Back in 84 I had a friend that lived in a town called Yeovil , out in the sticks . He'd often told me about a car that was s'posed to be locked in a barn in a scrap yard not far from him , story had been going around for years .I'd been past this yard many times , it was mostly old English stuff in there along with a few Pre War UK assembled American cars - Hudsons , Buick McLoughlins etc - all big four door sedans .Anyway , we was out cruising around one day and I said "why don't we go on down to that yard and have a word with the old guy there" , he wasn't keen but I managed to persuade him otherwise , we entered the yard pretending we were looking for some Morris Minor parts got chatting to him and he turned out to be a real nice old guy then I dropped the question , " is that right you got a 1958 Corvette in one of these barns here ?" , he said "yes , would you like to see it ? " (do fat dogs fart ? I thought to myself). So we walked over and he opens the door on this barn and there it was.............

A 1958 Corvette , black with a white cove ,red interior and black top . Well I nearly fell over .........after I'd regained my composure we started talking about it and the subject of "is it for sale" came up and he said it would be for sale if he ever got the right offer . So we talked a bit more and I ended up going back there the next day with a trailer and giving him 4,000 (approx $6,000 then) for it . It had something crazy like 22,000 original miles with every single piece of paper and receipt you could ever wish for from the day it was sold new . It had been imported to England in 1961 and had been off the road since the early 70's . Everything was there but it needed total restoration , they had the original 283 but it had suffered a cracked block so , true to junkyard form, they flame cut an adapter from 1/2 steel plate and put an AMC L6 engine in there LOL , fortunately they hadn't altered anything that couldn't be put right. It was more of a project than I could handle so I sold it pretty quickly .I gotta load more pics of it somewhere but all my stuff is still in a mess from when I cleared it from my Mums place when she died.
Oh yeah ..............in the same barn parked next to the Vette covered in old tires was a super clean South African assembled 37 Chevy Cabriolet but what would I want with an old thing like that

LOL and you thought your post was long Bill . Sweet looking Thames , a friend of mine with a small Hot Rod shop in my town is just doing one for a customer , straight front axle ,olds rear and stack injected early Hemi , I'll see if I can get some pics.

Last edited by Stitch; 01-16-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:59 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Well it wasn't a barn find but there used to be a 32 or 33 2 door Chevy in a blow out about 1 mile from my grandparents house. It was all there, just rotting away. About 6 years ago some out of state hunters in the area inquired my grandfather who owned the car. He told them it was on his neighbors land and it was his neighbors car. The car then disappeared, to make things short the car grew legs and walked away. There was one other find I should have jumped on that I didn't. I was 16 working on a Ranch in the summer when we had to clean up a metal pile behind a old shop. We started to load up all of this metal when a old Chrysler Hemi appeared in the mess. It looked like a old 392 but I wasn't sure, well the owner, my boss told me if I wanted it I could have it for nothing. I told him I had no use for it and no way to haul it off, so off to the metal recyclers it went. These are a couple of my barn finds....
Old 01-16-2004, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by onebadmerc
. . .He told them it was on his neighbors land and it was his neighbors car. The car then disappeared, to make things short the car grew legs and walked away. . .
Wow, legally, wouldn't that be a cool way to say, "I just had my neighbor tell them he didn't know who owned it. Then I could wait for someone to pick it up and put alot of time and money into restoring it. Few years later, I'll file a police report with the original title and tell them I've been at my other house out-of-state for the past few years and thought I'd go back and get my car. They can run the VIN at a car show, and I'll drive home my new Chevy "

Would that work? Just a thought.

MoocH
Old 01-16-2004, 10:27 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I don't think my grandfathers neighbor had the title. The car as far as I was told was sitting there since the late 40's or early 50's. The neighbor bought the property back in the late 80's or early 90's and the car was apart of the property. I think on something like that you have to appy for a home built or kit car title. Even if Paul did have the original title it wouldn't do him any good.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:55 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

The only thing I find in barns is cow dung...
Old 01-16-2004, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Old 01-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Found a 30s coupe in a building years ago, around the mid 70s.. It was hot rodded, had a Buick nailhead in it. Looked pretty well seized up and abandonned. When we found the owner, he was an older hot rodder that had all kinds of money (daddy died), and wasn't interested in selling. About 2 years later the building got renovated. Don't know what happened to the car.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

Thumbs up 1955 Chevy Bel-Air

In 1962, I was a Junior in high school and looking for a car. My dad told me about a friend of his that had a car in his garage that had been sitting for a couple of years. The friend had a stroke and couldn't drive anymore, so he locked it up.

I was expecting a piece of crap car, but it was a pretty nice '55 with bench seats and a column shift power glide ( not for long though!!) It had a little over 10k miles on it and the back seat still had the plastic wrap on it. The best part of it was the 265 V8 that pretty quickly had duals with glass packs...

Mannnnnnnnnn I wish I still had that car.......I paid $300 for it.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Back in 1985 I lived in So.Cal. My bro-in-law kept telling me about a 1969 Z-28 sitting in a guys backyard,covered up with black plastic. After about a year of hearing about it(he wouldn't tell me where it was because he "was going to buy it ",and he didn't have 2 nickles to rub together) he finally broke down and told me where it was(cost me a Burger King dinner).
I went to the door and asked if the "Camaro" was for sale. The guy said he didn't know what he was going to do with it...but take a look and make him an offer. It had 96000 original miles, m22, posi, and had NEVER been messed with(no headers,air shocks,chrome air cleaners,nothing). I offered him $1200, and he said he'd think about it. The next day stopped by and he said he "Had to get at least $1500 " for it! I handed him the cash,aired up the tires, stuck a good battery in it and drove it away!
The funny thing about it was, that it was directly across from a high school(Escondido High School) and no one ever knew it!
The sad thing........is that I sold it a week later for $2800 and thought I was fartin in silk! Only later did I realize how much that car was worth even back then!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

I bet I have the CHEAPEST barn find?

I was told to pick up a Satellite for wrecking about 15-20 years ago. It had no engine, but was in good shape supposedly, and I thought my buddy with a 66 Satellite could use some parts if they were good.

All the drive up I joked with a buddy that it was a Hemi car, blah, blah, blah. We laughed the whole way there, about 25 minutes.

When we got there we find out the car is a 1966 Belvedere, it's painted plum crazy purple, and it is complete except the engine and tranny. The car looks in very good shape, except weathered, and I can't help but notice the red rectangles of paint on the front fenders. The brake shoes are seized to the drums, so I DRAG the car up onto my deck.

We open the hood, and what do I stare at?
Well, first, the solenoid bracket on the inner fenderwell. Still intact. The K member, still there. Original. My buddy had never seen one he says.... The trans cooler, the missing emblems, all things point to the missing engine and tranny. The missing HEMI engine and tranny that is. It was an original Hemi car, and it was the original Johnston Motors Hemi racing car.

I dropped it off at my buddy's house, I told him I was better off not being near it, as it would have been tubbed with a 440 etc... I told him to keep it, and not alter it.
It sat out back of his house for around five years, he ended up selling it, $4000 or thereabouts, I never found out the exact price, but a local guy flawlessly restored the car.
Here is a picture of the ACTUAL car which I paid nothing for, gorgeously restored by the present owner.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:10 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Well, guys and gals, kick back and I'll give you a long tale. I grew up in the hills of East Tenn, not far from town then, but a two track road thru the hills. A neighbor about a mile away had a 36 Ford 5 window coupe that he had bought new. He drove it by the house almost every Sat on the way to town, but only if it was not raining or muddy. The car was very quiet except for the squeaks. I thought it was a cordovan tan, and I sure wanted that car. He parked it for 5 years during WWII because he did not want to mess with gasoline rationing stamps. The car was kept in a tiny garage just large enough to house it so it stayed dry. He started driving it again after the war, but again parked it in 1954 because his wife had a stroke and could not travel. Up to this point, if the car came out of the garage, they were both in it. His wife died some time later. When I was about 15, I started trying to buy the car and was a real pest about it, but I left home for school in 56 and would still pester him about the car when I was in for holidays, but finally gave up because he always said it was not for sale. On Easter Sunday, 1960, I saw him sitting on his front porch swing and stopped just to say hello. We had bee chatting for about 10 min when out of the clear blue, he says "Welp, I reckon I'm ready to sell the old car and since you have pestered me to death about it , I reckon you ought to have first chance at it. I about fell off the porch and in all my infinite experience in such matters, I blurted out " I'll take it ! How much you want?". He says, "Welp, I paid $485 for it brand new, and it's still as good as new and I reckon I have to have $485 for it.". I said ok, but I have to get back to school this after noon and can't get the money to you before next Sat and I'll pick the car up then. Now I have never seen the car up close and really have no ideal what shape it really was in. Now, the story starts to speed up. On Wed night, my Mom calls me at school, first time in 4 years. She starts out by saying two guys were there at the house wanting to buy the "old car". I said, I don't own the car yet, and she responded that as far as old Glen (the owner) was concerned, he had sold me the car and that was that. I said the car is not for sale and she says they want to give you $2500 for it and I said no way, it's not for sale. Now in 1960, you could buy a 58 Vette with less than 20,000 miles for $2500, but the car lots had lots of them, but not many 36 Ford coupes were available. Continuing on, the next Sat finally rolled around and I showed up at his house with my kid brother, a farm tractor, a chain and $485. We finally got the garage door open and I saw the car up close for the first time. It was covered with dust and it was the color I remembered it. I said something about the color and he said it was black and the reason it looked like it did was he never washed it. It had only been wet a couple of times when he got caught out in the rain. He also said it had never been above 30 mph except for a time he was on a main highway and the traffic was going 62 mph and that was how fast he drove until he found a place he could pull off. Well, I wiped the wind shield , and other glass semi clean with an old towel, hooked the chain around the front bumper arm and away we went behind the tractor. The tires had air, but all were low and did those old rayon tires ever bump. You would pay $8 for that ride at Disney World today. The old mechanical brakes worked fine. The first thing I did upon getting home was wash the car. and the paint looked good but I said it's not black but blue. Then I went to work with a good cleaner wax and did the rags turn black. About 2:00 PM, I had a shiny new black 36 Ford 5WC with 32,472 actual miles. Not a rattle in it, no rust, and the doors clicked shut and the windows cranked up and down smoothly. I had planned on pulling the heads and checking the cylinders before firing it up, but my Dad, who was not overly excited about my purchase to this point, came in from work and said lets fire it up!! Well, we pulled the 6 volt battery from his old farm truck, added some water to the radiator (no leaks) and gasoline to the tank. We poured some gasoline in the carb and it fired right up, but died as soon as that shot was gone. After a couple of tries at this, we took the top off the old Stromberg 97 and sure enough, the float needle was stuck in the seat. We put some gasoline in the bowl and the needle came loose in about a minute. We cranked it up again and it purred like a kitten until all the gasoline burned out of the float bowl. Then we took the top off the fuel pump: dry as a bone. those old fuel pumps could be rebuilt with a kit. There were either two or three check valves in the pump and they were all gummed closed. Used a dull pencil to break them loose after soaking in gasoline. We put it back together and that carb and pump worked like a champ for as long as that motor stayed in the car. I drove it just like it was for several years. My present wife and I did all of our courting (dating to you youngsters) and went on our first, second and third honeymoons in it. I still have both. This is my " barn find " and you can see it in my avtar, slightly street rodded.

Trees
Old 01-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Try not to cry... and don't laugh either!
http://carsinbarns.com/

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.