Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What's your current daily driver + pics
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What?

Whats-u doing up at this hour?

63 years old and still recovering from a severe heart attack followed within a month by three strokes. I couldn't see, walk,talk, sit up without falling over and when I regained my sight in around two months everyone realized I had total memory loss, didn't know who my wife, two adult daughters, five Grandchildren or the rest of my relatives, best friends, Doctor of 21 years or anyone was.
When I became aware of my surroundings I started reading volumes of books i.e. world and American history, American wars, my bible, I continually watched Fox news and Fox business news. I had received Hotrod magazine since I was around 12 yrs. old plus other car magazines that had stacked up because I had shown no interest in cars but one day I picked up Hotrod and read it cover to cover in one sitting then all the other magazines. MY oldest Daughter and her husband rolled me up to a nice looking building up behind our house on a circular drive and inside was four beautiful cars, I wasn't sure what they were and they tried to explain them to me.
Moving ahead thousands of questions and a year later, I got out of the wheelchair a year ago last Christmas and used a walker until last July. In the mean time I had learned to drive in the parking lot of the local highschool. I had also developed my own form of physical thearpy that involved twisting and turning, bending, lifting light dumbells and lots of leg strengthening exercizes. I now use a custom walking stick which I lean on heavily because of a balance problem caused by my Parkinson's desease. I landspeed raced on the Maxton Mile last Sept. in my SS Silverado truck and I went back in Oct. to the last ever Maxton Mile in N.C. and set a landspeed record for one mile in my class. We leave on the 26th of this month after adding 62 hp to my truck to run the first ever Ohio Mile at the Wilmington mile. I hope if the weather and wind is good to come back with one and as many as three landspeed records. The only thing I dread is the pain from such a long trip caused by my rheumatoid arthritis, but I can't complain because I am a walking miracle.

Garrell
The Following User Says Thank You to garrell.770 For This Useful Post:
Camaro_Nut2001 (12-02-2012)