Hot Rod Forum banner

Whats your do all lube?

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Too Many Projects 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what everyone uses for spray can lubes? I got a shelf full of them. Lately I have been using Liquid wrench Chain lube a lot. It goes on really thin and dries to a Motor Honey consistency. It really stays put once dried. In a pinch it works pretty good in small bearings.

#4 ·
WD stands for Water Diffuser,,,or something to that effect. The problem with it is, it doesnt stay...it either runs out of the place you put it or dries up. I doesnt stay there to lubricate. My experience anyways.

#5 ·
I ran out of WD 40 a while back and my closest place (Wal-Mart..sorry) was out so I bought a can of, I can't believe I'm saying this, "Jig-a-lube. I don't know if you've ever heard of it before but I was happy with how it worked. It seems to be a form of liquid Lithium Grease in a can. My wife's door hinges on her car where getting a little squeaky, one shot of this stuff and it's been over a year now and the noise isn't back yet.

Ray

#6 ·
I don't have one do-everything lube. I use WD-40 for some things. I like straight 30 weight for thread cutting, seems to clear out the chips better and lube the tap/die. I use white lithium grease for things like hinges, except the hinges on my sedan which are stainless steel where I use anti-seize instead. I had an aerosol lithium grease, that would spray into tight areas, foam up a little, and leave a heavier grease when it evaporates - real good for squeaky leaf springs. I'm out of it right now, or I'd post the name - don't remember. (I think I would have remembered if it was Jig-a-lube. :) ).

#8 ·
I don't use any one thing. I have WD-40, PB Blaster, Fluid Film, Cutting Oil and generic WalMart penetrating oil up on the shelf. There is other stuff up there as well, I just can't think of it at the time. A lot of the time I just grab whatever is handy but there are tasks that I prefer one thing over another. For example a combination of PB Blaster and Fluid Film seems to work rear well for freeing stuck engines. I spray PB Blaster let it set for a day then spray Fluid film. Then I try to work the engine back and forth. I repeat this cycle numerous times until I have success. It took me all winter to unstick my Allis Chalmers WD45 a few years ago but it runs great now.

I have never heard of Jig-a-lube.

#10 ·
haha jig a loo, first time the old lady handed me that I thought i was gonna have a long night without her,,,

no kidding my better half bought some and it is actually a good product.

For me the best thing to cling to your saddle lube is Honey Goo. Made with bee's wax, and is the best for 67-72 chevy rocker panels and cab corners.:thumbup: this is lube with sticking power and completely stops metal cancer, we use this at the farm on the gate latches too, we have a few gates for sure and at -40 they actaual move.

kleen flo honey goo >>> I kid you not U nut busters,,

Honey Goo Lubricant | Canadian Tire

#12 ·
No WD-40 around here. I use JB80, twice as good as WD-40, for the spray lithium, I use Deep Creep made by Sea Foam. Same theory, goes on as a liquid to penetrate and then solidifies to a lithium grease for long term lube. Aero-Kroil is a good penetrant/lube too but much more spendy than the shelf stuff. We also use a solid lube in a tube, but the name escapes me now. It works on most anything, rubber, electrical, metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.