Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats your favirote polish
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
Have to agree with you Ray on this one I also use the 3M kit and find that it works very well, have been using the 05973 compound for years and just recently switched to the "new" kit with the 06085 compound that I think really does outperform the old 05973. The only difference is I do like the wool pad better than the foam personally. And yes do all my sanding by hand, wet or dry. No D/A just too scuff bare steel with 80 grit, thats about it. Nothing like hand sanding for the ultimate finish , whether blocking or cutting and buffing.
Glad to hear that another guy only uses the DA for roughing up metal...it sure shows in your work my friend. I've seen some guys do respectable work going from DA to paint but for that true arrow straight body, hand blocking can't be beat.

I still find wool pads a bit to aggressive on edges and that's why I stick to foam pads but, I know a lot of guys swear by wool. I find them a little harder to keep clean as well, especially with the coarse compounds. I have used wool pads and had good results...I just caught one to many sharp body lines and burnt through. The last one that it happened to me on was a 1970 Monte Carlo. The front fenders have a bit of a dish from the hood to the top of the fender, a sharp body line and then down....I was concerned when I started and all it took was one pass with the polisher that was to close to the body line and it had to be repainted. Wool will cut faster no doubt and if that works for people that's all that matters.

Yes Brian...I do have an air board exactly like the one that's in your picture and it got a fair bit of use when I was on flat rate...much faster than dragging a long board across a caved in box side. I did recently use it for a early 1923 Ford Model T Hack/Train Station Cab I'm finishing though...it worked great on the Oak for the roof and the side panels...LOL. Seriously, it worked fantastic for that...the 4 fenders, running boards, cowl and hood where all hand blocked and that's all that there really was for body on that old wagon.

Ray