Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats your favirote polish
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
Ray, do understand completely what you are saying. I have used the mudhog in the past for certain jobs, on something that I am trying to get through quick. But as far as doing the type of work, where you can put your eye right to the edge of any panel and move back and forth and side to side and see no distortion what so ever, that is where the hand sanding really pays off. And the bottom line is if it was fast and easy to accomplish you would see far more straight cars out there. Do apoligize for the highjack....
Sometimes, as we all go through life and do everything we can to hone our craft, the hardest thing to do is to stay true to our convictions and not to deviate from what we know is tried, tested and true. In all the years that I've been at my craft I haven't found a tool that works better than an eye for detail, caring about the finished product and having the concern to ensure all things are done properly. Can this be done with an air file versus a hand held long board, perhaps but, I know what works for me and that's what I need to stay with. I agree with you with respect to "if it was fast and easy to accomplish you would see far more straight cars out there." In my opinion, if there is a tool out there that makes this type of work faster, easier, and still makes the panel straight, I haven't seen it yet, perhaps when someone invents a CNC air file. Until then I will work with what I know works.

I wonder how many technicians go from air file to primer versus air file, to long board or block to primer when that panel needs to be perfectly straight?

Ray