Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats your favirote polish
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,120 Times in 996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Sometimes, as we all go through life and do everything we can to hone our craft, the hardest thing to do is to stay true to our convictions and not to deviate from what we know is tried, tested and true. In all the years that I've been at my craft I haven't found a tool that works better than an eye for detail, caring about the finished product and having the concern to ensure all things are done properly. Can this be done with an air file versus a hand held long board, perhaps but, I know what works for me and that's what I need to stay with. I agree with you with respect to "if it was fast and easy to accomplish you would see far more straight cars out there." In my opinion, if there is a tool out there that makes this type of work faster, easier, and still makes the panel straight, I haven't seen it yet, perhaps when someone invents a CNC air file. Until then I will work with what I know works.

I wonder how many technicians go from air file to primer versus air file, to long board or block to primer when that panel needs to be perfectly straight?

Ray
If there is a guy going from Air file to primer, he is piling on one heck of a ton of primer to make it straight! LOL

And there are people who use that primer to fix wavy body work, and of course that is one of the reasons it's there, to "catch" something missed, not to PLAN on catching the flaws. That is the mistake some make, they PLAN on the primer doing the finish surfacing. I like to ask the primer to do as little as possible.

Brian