Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats your favirote polish
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Brian...I think we lost a little bit of the art when we went from lacquer primer to high build...lacquer primer didn't fill that well and your body work needed to be straight...when high build came out, and I'm old enough to remember, most body men hated it...you had to clean the primer gun after using it, it had to sit overnight before sanding, the early 2K primer sanded harder than lacquer primer, lacquer primer dried quick, sanded like powder and could sit in the paint pot for however long you wanted it to. How could a flat rate body man make a decent living...and then it was explained that they didn't need to finish there bodywork as nice because the primer would fill 80 grit and even 40 grit scratches. Of coarse we know what eventually happens, sinking, sand scratches paint dying off etc. but, like you mentioned, how many body men or painters see their work 1 or 2 years after it leaves the shop.

Ray
On that subject of leaving paint in the gun. I remember the first production shop I worked at we had a gray primer gun, a red primer gun a gray sealer gun (PPG 1970?) and a red sealer gun. They hung there on the bench every day and you simply grabbed it, gave it a little whirl and sprayed it. It was a little different then wasn't it!

I still want to get it as close as possible and finish it off in 180. I will joke with the paint shop "you are going to just paint over this right, no need to waste primer".

Brian