Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats your favirote polish
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
Sorry to mislead you Ray, I was just venting a little about the quality I see coming from other shops. I have been very fortunate to have had some very good customers and their word of mouth to lead to more work coming in. For the most part have not had much trouble getting the customers. I remember bringing a car I did a full frame off to Hershey Pa. back in 2010 (with a display promoting the restorations) and came back with absolutely no leads at all. Was very dissapointing back then but it has picked up quite a bit since. But it is difficult and frustrating to get a potential customer to grasp a full resto type paint job and the time, materials and potential unseen problems that do arise.
OK, My bad...LOL...I had just written a PM and felt for some reason I should check to see if you had responded or not.

I know your work is second to none...and yes, I feel mislead...LOL (just kidding). I just know from experience what your talking about, the shop considered to be high end, charging the big dollar for mediocre work at best...and what gets me POed more than anything, the customer is happy with it.

I feel your on the right track as far as getting customers to grasp the full situation. It's an education that these customers need. What I've tried to do and it has worked, is to let my past customers have a hand in the education. If it comes from them it's true, if it comes from you, the customer may feel your just trying to get more for your work. I did a car for the customer I'm working with now many years ago and the best thing I did was let him help where he thought he could in the restoration. When he started I remember him saying "how hard can it be", he soon realized he didn't have the aptitude for what he wanted to end up with, he quickly became a believer and has been one of my best advertisers since.

As far as you bringing a car you did a full frame off and getting no leads...I can understand your frustration there as well. I did a Corvette many years ago and took it to a local car show. The gaps where all even, the car was straight and the paint was one of the best jobs I feel I ever did (have you ever had that one paint job where after your done you look at it and say polishing this car isn't going to improve it at all? I think in all the years I've been doing this I've had 2 and this was one of them). It won absolutely nothing...and to top it off, what did win was one of those cars your talking about. Frustrating to say the least...I found out that one of the judges was a Dentist that didn't know paint from Shineola so I didn't feel as bad.

Honestly, I'm glad to hear that your just venting, I think it frustrates everybody whose in our shoes and venting does feel good every once in a while.

Ray