What's YOUR Final Polish? and how do YOU apply it? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's YOUR Final Polish? and how do YOU apply it?

This is obviously one of the most important things and the finishing touch to a new finish.

To me it's very important that after leveling the finish, removing all visible sand scratches I need to bring it to the highest gloss I possibly can with no smudges from the compound and no scratches from whatever I apply it with.

I like the uniformity of a buffer/polisher but it seems like there's something a little bit beyond if I finish by hand. Has anyone else noticed this?

But the one problem I have with the by hand method is that the little microfiber applicator pads seem to put a tiny ultra shallow scratch in once in a while. It's not something you would see without looking for it but if I'm going to spend time doing this by hand, it's got to be as perfect as I can see. Is there a better applicator or maybe am I better off using a foam and rotary or orbital? Also, seems like 3M and Meguires (maybe owned by 3M?) owns the market on final polishes but what else is good? What are the best of the best as far as no residue when complete?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 AM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

Watching this one!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i use mothers canuba wax. it can be used on fresh paint right after buffing. i apply it by hand with a fresh jersey glove that is damp. i don't use anything Meguires makes nor any 3m polishes.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
i use mothers canuba wax. it can be used on fresh paint right after buffing. i apply it by hand with a fresh jersey glove that is damp. i don't use anything Meguires makes nor any 3m polishes.
Thanks Shine, I've never tried that stuff. Also seems like the glove would be soft enough to not scratch. That's a great idea.

So life exists without 3M. LOL
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i wash the glove first. makes it softer. i have a gal of presta compound which is good. the chemical guys sell everything i need . much more choices on compounds and pads.
i have never liked 3m compounds. there are several bottles of finessit in the cabinet that are years old. i hate that stuff.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Shine, you ever used Liquid Ice by Norton? I know its nota finishig compund but was wondering what your opinion on it is?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.