Whats in your tool box? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2003, 02:02 PM
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Last journal entry: Swinger
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question Whats in your tool box?

I am begining my body tool collection. I am starting to gather tools so that I can work on the nova while it is in pieces. I want to get a fewshallow dents and creases out of the body. I have no experiance and no one I know does either.

If all of the body work gurus would throw down some advice I would really dig it. I have a little bit of money to work with, so I am looking to buy the necessary tools to do baisc body work.

1. I know i need a few dolly's, A few body hammers, but what shapes weights and sizes?

2. Also, I am trying to stay away from slide hammers, I have heard bad things about messing up with them. Am I wrong?

3. Is bondo brand filler the best? What about stuff with fiberglass in it?

4. Glazing putty. I know i need it after I use bondo to smooth it all over nicely, but that is all I know about it.

5. wet sanding. What is it , and how and why do i need to do it .

6. Are there any good web sites that I can go read this info at? Pictures are good. Point me anywhere. I just need to get going before I spend my Christmas money on rent!-Justin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2003, 02:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Check the Body / Exterior Knowledge Base for answers to most of your questions.

Centerline
Old 12-29-2003, 03:09 PM
back to action!

Last photo:

hey there, it's good to hear you want to do your own work. that way you can do everything that a shop might skip or miss. i have lots of dollies and 2 hammers. sorry but i don't know the names of them. someone else will know the types but i use them all the time. for filler i use bodypro body gold. it's not that expensive and it sands well. one thing i think you must have is a board sander for those large flat panels. i have a slider hammer but i never use it. just don't care for drilling holes in metal that i'm trying to fix. my friend has a stud puller which is like a big gun that welds a small stud onto the panel and with a slide that grips the stud, you proceed to pull the dent. but it is very expensive so that might kill that idea. after you're done you simply grind the stud off. wet sanding is done with very fine grit sandpaper that is meant to work while it's wet. after you primer dust on a light coat of black laquer from a spray bomb and with lots of water block sand the area you are working on. the paper is too fine to do it dry as you will see if you ever try it. keep block sanding until most of the black is gone and any scratches or low spots will light up and then concentrate on those areas, you may even have to re-primer. this is just the basics but you will learn way more as you go. for my type of work and the paints i use, 600 or sometimes 400 grit paper is what i use. hopes this helps out a bit.

just to add, glazing putty is a very fine putty used on areas where filler would be too thick or bulky to use. most tend to shrink in time so you have to be carefull that you dont cover too much of an area. after primering and block sanding, i use the putty to fill the pinholes in the filler. most putties can only be applied to primered or painted surfaces, not bare metal. a good quality paint gun is a must, although i use a cheaper one just for primering and nothing else. a touch-up gun is also nice to have for door jambs and tight areas. very useful to have. mine was only 60 bucks, that price will greatly vary.

Last edited by goose; 12-29-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:07 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Try looking into getting your tools at Harbor Freight. I know that most of their stuff is made in China but some of it is ok. I bought a air board from them for only $30, they sell small hand held grinders for like $15 and air DAs for like $10 and they even sell the dent puller that welds the stud on that you pull with a slide hammer for like $80. I could go on for quite a while, the air tools I have bought from there actually work pretty well, I haven't had a problem with any of them except for breaking the spring on a air chisel. I just went down there the other day to get a new spring for it and they sold the air chisel cheaper than a replacement spring, so you can guess what I did. If not you can always go and buy Snap On or Mac but if you are not doing it for a living I wouldn't pay the extra $$$$ for the Name Brand tools. I own both Mac Tools, Huchens Air Tools, Matco and Snap On and some cheap stuff from harbor Freight and the air tools are on equal terms for working for me.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:42 PM
**** or get off the pot

Last photo:

Tools, Tools, Tools. You got to love em. In the way of hammers and dollies, I must have 20-30 different ones, a shrinking hammer is a must and my most used.

Slide hammers are great, but there again i hate filling holes so i I got a stud spotter from the Matco dealer in the area.

Trim tools are also very handy to have, sometimes you need em and are a must to have.

Air tools, DA, air hammer, mud hog, die grinder, orbital sander, various paint guns. I still love the 3 Binks model 7's I have, there not HVLP but have used these Binks for many years.

As for filler, I personally HATE BONDO BRAND, the best we ever used and still use is Evercoat Maxum Gold. this stuff is absolutly the best to work with.

I could go on and on, if you have more???'s post em and we'll lend our thoughts..

Oh yeah and for what is in my tool box, lets start with the box itself.

Harley Davidson edition Snap-On triple bay with matching top box.
Heavy duty casters, full ball bearing double rail drawers. Black with bright orange trim and Harley logos and pewter engines on the bottom drawer that they used over the years. Just ordered my side closet- ETA 3 weeks.

Wrenches: Snap-On, Mac, Cornwell, and Matco sets from 7/32" to 4". Angled, long, short and stubby combanation and opened ended, and half moon wrenches.

Sockets: The above brands thin wall, deeps, impacts, wobblies. Metric and standard.

Ratchets: again above brands, long handle, short handle, palm, flex heads all in 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" and 1" drive. Torgue wrnches and multipliers.

Air tools: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 1" drive impact wrenches, air drills, Da, mud hog, paint guns, die grinders, air hammers, air ratchets, air shears, power bleeder.

Screw Drivers: Tons flat, phillips, torks, allan, ect.

Pliers: Side cutter, pythons, vice grips, tin snips, inernal and external snap ring pliers, needle nose, cobras, alligators, crimpers, hose pinchers. ECT.

Diagnostic: Snap-On scan tool with graphic display and printer, multi meters, amp clamps, noid lights, test light, ECT.

Micrometers, scopes, push/pull gauges, and all sorts of other goodies.

Last edited by jeeptuff; 12-29-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:25 PM
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Last photo:

Well Idid check the knowledge base but it is of limited help to me.

I would like to know what dollies names are and common applications. This is difficult info for me to find so far.

I will check back shortly.

Thank you all for your help.-justin
Old 12-30-2003, 10:07 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Go here... http://www.autobodystore.com/ and look around. Lots of videos and books are also available. Do a search on the web or go to... http://www.motorbooks.com/ They have a good selection and some pretty decent prices.
Mark
Old 12-31-2003, 05:08 AM

Last photo:

About seventy five grand, give or take......
Old 01-01-2004, 03:22 PM
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Last photo:

I am glad to see the sites for getting manuals and such but i am also frugal. Is there a place on the web anyone has seen that shows ppictures and such ? You know, like an online how to.

-justin

ps, thats clever ego-slut, thnks for the help.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.