I need help understanding backspacing as it pertains to wheels. I'll start out with a few questions.
1. Is 0" backspacing considered to be where the hub face is in the center of the rim?
2. Are there both negative and positive backspacing?
3. Which moves the rim away from the body?
4. How do you measure backspacing on an existing wheel?
5. Do wheel mfg's provide a range of backspacing in their wheels or do you just have to shop around for the backspacing you need?
As you can tell, I am new to this subject so any help/advice will be appreciated.
1) O" backspacing means that there is a equal amount of spacing on each side of the wheel...example...3.5 on the front, and 3.5 on the rear.
2) Positive is more on the curb side of the wheel, negative has more on the frame side.
4) Lay the wheel flat, lay a straight edge accross the wheel and measure down to where the wheel bolts to the axle.
5) Most wheel companies tell what the backspacing is.
Example: If you have a 15 X 7 wheel with 4" backspace ...it is a 0" offset wheel. The reason is that a 7" wheel is 8" at the widest point and 7" between the beads of the tire when mounted.
Hope this was not too confusing.
>1) O" backspacing means that there is a equal >amount of spacing on each side of the >wheel...example...3.5 on the front, and 3.5 on >the rear.
No, 0" back space the rim would line up with
rear face of the mounting surface, 0" offset
is what you're discribing...
>2) Positive is more on the curb side of the >wheel, negative has more on the frame side.
Tough to tell on this one, as I've seen them
Quoted both ways...
>Example: If you have a 15 X 7 wheel with 4" >backspace ...it is a 0" offset wheel. The reason >is that a 7" wheel is 8" at the widest point and >7" between the beads of the tire when mounted.
A 7" wheel *MIGHT* be an inside measurement, but
it won't be 8" wide, 7.5" maybe, so it'll be a
4" backspace and a 1/2" offset...
It's best to order wheels using the backspace
Just to add to the confusion, go here...
<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/ar/dw42/offset.htm" target="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/ar/dw42/offset.htm</a>
Steve & the Rockette...
Too many to list...
[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: Canzus ]</p>
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.