Wheel bearing noise? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Heathen

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
454- I think the grease may have worked into the bearings as the wheel got hotter.
This quote scares me. Please tell me you did pack the wheel bearings during assembly and before you drove the car. If not theres the problem, bearings burn fast without lubrication.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 02:03 PM

Last photo:

Relax guys, I packed the bearings with hi temperature disc brake bearing grease. I used the glob on the hand and force the grease into the bearing method. They are lubed well. I sure wish T bucket would of came in earlier with his statement about the replacing the races, which I DID NOT REPLACE! I did inspect them and they looked untouched and not even burnt, etc. My buddy who was helping me install the disc brakes, did the lubrication of the bearing when we installed them. My guess is he only applied grease to the outside of the bearing and maybe pressed some grease into the bearing with his finger. In other words, they weren't lubricated properly from the get go.
As far as my comment on grease working into it. What the heck do I know??? That's why I'm asking you guys...
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Relax guys, I packed the bearings with hi temperature disc brake bearing grease. I used the glob on the hand and force the grease into the bearing method. They are lubed well. I sure wish T bucket would of came in earlier with his statement about the replacing the races, which I DID NOT REPLACE! I did inspect them and they looked untouched and not even burnt, etc. My buddy who was helping me install the disc brakes, did the lubrication of the bearing when we installed them. My guess is he only applied grease to the outside of the bearing and maybe pressed some grease into the bearing with his finger. In other words, they weren't lubricated properly from the get go.
As far as my comment on grease working into it. What the heck do I know??? That's why I'm asking you guys...
Grease needs to be packed into the bearing from the large end until is comes out of the small end between the rollers. You ALWAYS replace the race when you replace a bearing, no exceptions.You can not tell the health of the race by looking at it. Sorry I didnt see it earlier.

Chet
Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Chet, I lubricated the bearing correctly as you stated. However, I did not change out the race. It's not a big deal to pull the hubs and do that which I'll do this upcoming weekend. I'm not driving it until then anyways. You've helped on other occasions as well, for that I'm appreciative! I guess that's why they give you races when you purchase the bearing.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i have a couple of different wheel bearing packers but this double cone type that you use your grease gun on is my favorite
it makes short work of doing bearings and works very well
and i hate walking around with a handful of grease
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G11
Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Watch this video on lubricating wheel bearings. Is this the proper way to lubricate them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOB_Xy4J6lI&NR=1
Old 05-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Watch this video on lubricating wheel bearings. Is this the proper way to lubricate them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOB_Xy4J6lI&NR=1
Couldnt be more wrong.

If the bearings are packed properly you do not need to put any grease on the races. A little on the outer surface of the bearing after it is packed is more than sufficient. Putting grease in the cavity between the races is a waste of grease.
There is no reason to lubricate the spindle as the bearing shoulder should NEVER spin on the spindle.

I pack my bearings 1 of 2 ways.
Method one involves a large gob of bearing grease on the palm of my right left hand and the grease is worked into the bearing using almost like a scraping motion until the grease comes out the other end between the rollers.
The second method, preferred, is I have a packing tool that goes in the vice, it is a plastic can with grease in the bottom and a couple of flanges inside. You put the bearing in put on the cover and squeeze in the vice until the grease comes out the top of the bearing. This method is faster and cleaner.

Always start with a clean bearing.

Chet
Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Another method I have used is to put a gob of grease into a clean zip lock bag, drop in the new bearing, seal the bag and squish it around until fully packed. Fish it out and install as usual. If kept clean the grease can be reused and replenished as needed. Make sure you seal the bag after use to keep it clean.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i also have one of the vise type self contained packers
Quote:
zip lock bag, drop in the new bearing, seal the bag and squish it around until fully packed. Fish it out
the problem with the bag is you need to make shure the grease goes all the way through the bearing
thats why when you pack with your hand, or any tool, you push the grease from one side to the other
not from both sides, as you could leave an air pocket in the middle
Old 05-15-2010, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

UPDATE- I wanted to let everyone know what I discovered. After replacing the races, bearings, I still had the grinding noise when starting a left turn. I found that the U bolts, that hold my straight axle to the leafs weren't tight. I took a long ratchet and torqued the bolts up nice and tight. Took it for a drive and the grinding noise stopped. Not sure what caused the grinding sound with the U bolts being loose? It wasn't that loose to where the axle moved, but it wasn't torqued either. Well, I at least got new bearings out of the deal. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Firewall
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Couldnt be more wrong.
He was doing OK until about 2:30. Then the wheels fell off. HA HA HA HA I kill myself.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Firewall
Last photo:

This one is not bad, although I prefer not to tap. I kinda roll it until the grease pops out the small end, working my way around until every cavity is full.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agxjG...eature=related

Take your dramamine before watching this one. And the non-automotive banter is funny. Best non-torque wrench one I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYiA...eature=related
Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
He was doing OK until about 2:30. Then the wheels fell off. HA HA HA HA I kill myself.
You know ...........! that is a very funny statement ....... "I kill myself "..... got me laughing for sure ..... thanks

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.