Wheel bearing noise? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wheel bearing noise?

I have a straight axle front end and have the disc brake conversion setup. Recently, I noticed a grinding sound only when I turn to the left. It's coming from the driver side front end as well. It sounds almost like the tire is rubbing on the fender, but it's not. I took the wheel off and checked the end play on the bearing and readjusted them. Still doing it. I noticed the grease cap has been smashed by a hammer and the inside looks like something was grinding? I pounded that out a bit, but it still made the noise. Any suggestions on what to look for? It only makes the sound when turning left.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

noise..

cotter pin draging on the dust cap ????
Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

The dust cap isn't rubbing now. I also lifted the vehicle and cranked it to the left to see if something was rubbing. Nothing! With the vehicle in the air and cranked to the left, I spun the wheel and it turns nicely without any grinding noise. When I drive it, at slow speed turning left, it'll make that grinding sound? It only does it when turning left. Driving straight or making a right turn I'm good. Any other suggestions on what to look for?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
I have a straight axle front end and have the disc brake conversion setup. Recently, I noticed a grinding sound only when I turn to the left. It's coming from the driver side front end as well. It sounds almost like the tire is rubbing on the fender, but it's not. I took the wheel off and checked the end play on the bearing and readjusted them. Still doing it. I noticed the grease cap has been smashed by a hammer and the inside looks like something was grinding? I pounded that out a bit, but it still made the noise. Any suggestions on what to look for? It only makes the sound when turning left.
Pull the hubs apart and check the wheel Brgs. I bet you find a some bad Brgs.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:19 PM

is it a constant grind, every time you turn left, or possibly a wheel weight touching the caliper every time the car turns left? I had this issue when i converted to front disc, the weight on the inside of the rim was barely brushing the caliper. or possibly the rotor is dragging the brake when turning left?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

It's not constant, sometimes it grinds and sometimes it won't. It has been getting worse lately. Great suggestions. I'm going to take the wheel off tomorrow. I will also check the weights on the inside of the rim if that is rubbing. I lifted the car, and the wheel spins fine and no grind noise, even with the wheels turned in both directions. I guess because there is no resistance on the bearing? The sound it makes is very close to the sound an oversize tire makes when it rubs on the fender. My wheel and tire have plenty of room, so that's not it. I may pull the hub and look at the bearing just to see if something is going on there. It's definitely something I've never had happen in all my years of working on cars. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Last edited by kleen56; 05-01-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:46 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Has it always made this sound ? I added disc brakes and had clearance problems. Did you support the car with the axle when you raised it or just let it hang down ?

Since you are going to pull it apart why not just replace the bearings ?

454 RATTLER
Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler
Has it always made this sound ? I added disc brakes and had clearance problems. Did you support the car with the axle when you raised it or just let it hang down ?

Since you are going to pull it apart why not just replace the bearings ?

454 RATTLER
It did not make this noise all the time, just recently, and it's occurring more often. It also seems that after driving for a while, it's less apt to happen. I added the disc brakes over two years ago and they were fine. I raised the car by the frame allowing the axle to hang when checking it. I'm running a drop axle on the front and it's tough getting a jack under the axle. I'm sitting pretty low in the front. If I pull it apart today, I'll replace the inner and outer bearings. It's not expensive and easy to do. I'm also running 17 inch wheels, and there is plenty of clearance between the inner wheel and any brackets. Just for curiousity, I'm gonna raise the car from the axle, turn the wheels to the left and see if I get that noise. Maybe there wasn't enough lubrication on the bearings to begin with? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

OK, wanted to let you guys know what I found. The inner bearing is toast! Apparently, the bearing was either not lubricated properly or the adjustment was too tight. The bearing themselves are burnt, and even the bearing race on the axle was a slight blue color from running hot. The race inside the hub is perfectly fine though? Anyways, I pulled the seal and the bearing and will replace both bearings to make sure. Thanks for everyones advise!
Ed
Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Here is a little adjustment tip for ya

Use a torque wrench and torque too 25 foot pounds , then back off the nut 1/2 turn and re-tighten too 22 INCH pounds .. the perfect adjustment for wheel bearings, the hole for the cotter pin will line right up most times.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

25 lbs is bit steep? Your spinning the wheel as your torquing it right? I usually go about 15 lbs, then back the nut about 1 flat of the bolt and maybe a bit more if the hole doesn't line up.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Spinning the wheel .... nope, 25 foot lbs would not let that happen, the purpose it to load the wheel bearings. By backing off the 1/2 turn it will unload the bearings, and allow the wheel to spin free. Not the way to do the adjustment just saying it for clarity.

After the 1/2 back off of the nut use the 22 INCH pound setting to tighten, all is good, and not a hint of slop . Both measurements are done statically when done the wheel will spin as it should.

It is ok the first time I saw this I did not think it was they way to go ... I always did it they way you are currently doing it .... old school as they say. This is a measured and repeatable adjustment that gives consistency to the adjustment, removes the human interpretation of end results.

You can notice the difference if you do one and then go to the other wheel and just spin the two, the adjustment I suggest will feel smother without the slop.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Glad you found the problem, kleen56.

I'm glad you posted what you found. Your post has led to me try a new way of adjusting wheel bearings.

Now I have a good reason to buy an INCH POUND TORQUE WRENCH.

454 RATTLER
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

454- Before you thank me too much, I drove it after replacing the driver's side inner and outer bearing and seal. It drove nice, but the noise came on a couple more times while turning left (pisst off!) It got better as I drove and definitely seemed like an improvement. I think the grease may have worked into the bearings as the wheel got hotter. Anyways, to be safe, I pulled the other side and replaced the inner bearing. That side, the inner bearings were looking bronze colored so I just put new ones in as well. It's all put together, but haven't had a chance to test drive. A mechanic told me, if you hear a bearing noise while turning left, it would be the right side bearing causing the problem because that is when pressure is applied to the bearing? and vise versa. Either way, I have new bearings and fresh bearing grease now I'll let you guys know later on the test drive results. I need a INCH torque wrench as well. Next time, I'm trying Pepe's method of adjusting the bearings.

Last edited by kleen56; 05-03-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Couple things, you need to pack the bearings. If packed properly the grease will not need to "work into them" and it never will. Also if you replaced the bearings without replacing the races you wasted your time. They need to be replaced as a set or they will fail again in short order.
Also make sure you are using high temperature bearing grease. If your spindle got so hot it blued then I would guess you do have a bearing issue. It is possible the bearing was spinning on the spindle. This could lead to bigger problems like spindle failure.

Front ends and brakes are nothing to fool with. If you are not 100% sure how to get the bearings replaced and packed, find someone to help.

Chet

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.