Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - wheel bearings and breaks
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh yes, that old trick of welding the inner cone to the stub!

I heard (and felt) mine going last week and, as mentioned, I was near a friend's place. So I phoned him and headed there. It was about six miles, I guess, and about half way, as I was driving slowly and wondering why the car behind wouldn't go round me as I went slower and slower, it started to squeal on me.

I stopped, and even then the idiot behind stopped behind me! I furiously waved him to go by me and finally he did, then I went on, no more squealing.

What I think happened is the cone of the outer race had started to spin on the stub. When I stopped it welded itself there and then no further noise came from it. Yes, I had fun getting it off, yes the angle grinder tidied up the stub.

I've had it happen twice before with trailers. They're the worst because you never know until too late that something's amiss. A wheel assembly came right off one day, the other time I was there for an hour and a half with hammer and chisel getting that outer cone off the stub. My arms ached for a week over that.