Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - wheel bearings and breaks
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtyauch301
also thought just worries me my friend had his wheel come completely off of his caprice a few months ago due to lack of maintenance i think that was just an odd case of ignoring the symptoms though... but regardless i don't wanna get that far he had to replace the spindle replace the rotor and iv been packing mine 1-2 times a year but wasn't sure if it needed to be done sooner
At 2X a year, you are in the 99.999th. percentile AFA good maintenance goes! At once a year, even, you will never have a problem- ever. You'll see any problem before it gets to the "terminal" stage. And good job.

Ray, X2 on the trailer bearings! I've never owned a boat trailer, but while coming back from the coast, a buddy and I had people frantically waving at us, turns out the trailer bearing had gone out from all the dunkings while putting in/taking out, and the wheel was trailing smoke- BAD.

We unhooked the trailer. I stayed w/the boat and trailer, he rode back and got the wherewithal to fix it. Made for a L O N G day.

Moral of the story: Preventative maintenance makes all the difference.