Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - wheel bearings and breaks
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've also had instances with wheels on trailers... but to recount the whole four occasions of my problems:

1. Wheel bearing failed after dust cap went missing. I was a few miles out of town when I learned, towed the trailer to town, bought bearing, replaced on side of road. That was the one with much hammering to be done.

2. One night I delivered an engine, the trip had been about 200 miles, when I dropped it off the friend to whom I'd delivered it noticed that all five wheel nuts were almost at the end of the threads on one hub! I suspect sabotage, it could have been nasty! To be honest, I don't know how it stayed on that long with the nuts loose.

3. Catastrophic bearing failure. I had run out of fuel between towns, I run on LPG and should have had petrol backup, but the fuel pump wouldn't kick in when I changed over, so I slept the night in the car about five miles out of town.

In the morning I waved down various people asking if they could hitch up to the rope I'd put on the front of the car and tow me into a place I could get fuel. Someone eventually did, and rounding the last corner into town I heard bangs and bumps behind me. In the mirror I saw a wheel heading for one of the houses and the trailer dropped on the left side.

Very fortunate that time, I found a pair of brand new hubs and bearings at a trailer show that had been taken off a trailer which had been delivered with the wrong stud pattern. This was after I'd changed over to 4-stud wheels to match my Nissan tow vehicle.

4. Those four studs must have been overworked! I had this load on:

Well, actually there was a stack of other stuff as well. After loading on the Poly and the truck gearbox, and the complete Hemi 6 engine, I stripped the heads off the Poly and left them where I was staying. Then I loaded two 5-speed gearboxes off Peugeots, two differentials, a bunch of magazines in boxes and some other stuff, the trailer was packed about 3' high.

I had to meet a friend 300 miles to the north to offload the truck gearbox and flywheel etc, but just before I reached him I had that old (now-) familiar bump-graunch sound come up at about 60mph, looked in the mirror and saw the right hand wheel heading for the opposite side of the road and so on.

All four wheel studs had broken off, I assume the wheel must have loosened or something.

Three hours later I was on my way again, new wheel studs, new U-bolts and a wheel checked for tightness.