wheel clearance question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 11:39 PM

Last journal entry: dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

wheel clearance question

i'm in the process of making my 66 Nova 4 door into a street/strip car that will hopefully run 12's. my question is how can i get larger tires (wider) to fit on the car. as is there is only room for 7 1/2 inch wide tires at the most. tubbing is not an option as the rear door eliminates any possibility of tubbing the wheel wells. i would like to be able to run 12's like i said and i don't think i can do that on street tires. what i would like to do is lift the rearend, preferably without having to buy new springs and i'm hoping that i can get some tall shackles for the springs that would lift the back enough that the tires could come past the fenders enough to fit 10 in treads. i also will be installing trac bars if needed to stiffen up the back. the bigger tires will not be used for around town driving but the the suspension has to be stiff enough and the fender high enough above the wheel that the fenders and tires do not meet coming off the line at the local strip. if this is a piratical idea and you could direct me to the necessary parts that would be greatly appreciated. on the other hand if what i want to do with the shackles is not going to work please tell me and help my find a way to achieve this. if it helps the car weighs around 3000 lbs, will have either a four or five speed manual trany will probably not have the stock 10 bolt rear end and should put out around 450 hp. thank you very much for your time.
Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 09:46 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Well Kevin, it seems you are caught between a rock and a hard spot... Without doing some major wheel tub work and suspension narrowing you just aren't going to get a very big tire under your Nova.
By the way... The rear door will not interfere with tubbing your car as the term refers to modifying the inner wheel tub for wider tires so you don't have to jack your car up for clearance. If you keep tire diameters realistic you can do this without touching the outer wheel arch.
I will not recommend jacking your car up for clearance either. This is old school stuff and it will not be good for traction or handling. I would look into a set of CalTrac traction bars http://www.calvertracing.com/info/info.htm for your Nova and run the widest ET Street or comparable drag radial tire you can stuff under it. With some industrious chassis tuning and good launch techniques you should be able to get it to hook up, BUT, you should exhaust all possiblities before starting to cut the car up...
Mark
Old 08-03-2004, 06:18 PM

Last journal entry: dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the jacking up of the car would be for looks and to allow me to fit wide tires under the car. would my traction be seriously affected if i added traction bars to the back. i really like the profile the car would have lifted and tubbing is not an option. in terms of handling the car will be for around town driving and strip runs so as long as the back end will still be stable for these applications i'm fine with it.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.