Hot Rod Forum banner

Wheel cylinder problem? brake lock up?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  72 chevy elcamino 
#1 · (Edited)
Wheel cylinder problem? cylinder helpppp!!!

Hello
Heres the deal. The 1972 elcamino has drums in the front.
The front end suddenly started pulling left alittle yesterday so i decided to take a look at the brakes and front end. the rotor was stuck on the brakes and was finally removed to see the brakes were extended all the way out like the brake pedal was to the floor. the brakes were shot and the rotor had a small groove starting in it. i turned the rotor and got new brakes but the cylinder wont seem to go in like its stuck in place i tried several times to push it together with no luck. i inspected the brakes and compared them to the old they are the same brand and model so im guessing the cylinder is at fault?

#3 · (Edited)
Ok i went to get another brake cylinder and none i have found will work.i tried alot of places and tried npd and they have a different one as well. the cylinder is 2 and 7/8 boot to boot. i was given a 3" and it would not work. the brakes would not close enough to clear the rotor even fully adjusted in. the brakes are hitting the cylinder. i compared the cylinder to the other front brake and it is the same 2 and 7/8. the brakes are also the exact replacements for the shoes so the brakes are not the problem. im thinking ill have to rebuild the cylinder but there is no rebuild kit for the style i have. im going to order the bendix brand and see if it will work. never thought a cylinder could shrink over time and the new replacements grew to big lol

#4 ·
IF you bought the cheapest shoes they had with the 1 year or lifetime warranty my guess is the pad material has been laid on so thick to reduce the No of returns you may not get it into the rotor without taking a bunch off the ID. As long as the cylinder bores are the same size the rebuild kit will work from another cylinder. Just change the rubber cups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.