Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wheel cylinders
Thread: Wheel cylinders
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilyrascal View Post
Have any of you guys heard of any problems with honing out wheel cylinders too far other than leaking.

Here is my story, when I purchased the truck it had no brakes, after my upgrade with modern drivetrain I used the 1986 F-250 power brake booster and master cylinder and ran all new lines.

The original wheel cylinders are UN-obtainable except thru a select group of guys that swiped up all of the left over Napa stock, they now want 90 dollars a piece for them which is the same amount Apple hydraulics and some of the others want to rebuild them with S.S. I have 6 of them in the truck and this amounts to alot of money for me.

I removed the originals and honed them out, they were rusty and pitted, when I say honed I mean bore maybe. I sat there with a bucket of water ( or oil, cant remember what I used ) and went thru 3-4 of the small drill driven honing tools you would find at Napa. I sat there for hours, I never did get rid of all of the pitting but they looked alot better.

I was able to purchase new kits to put them back together and did this.

I bled the brakes and never had a leak but also never had much of a pedal, if I pumped it once or twice than all was well but on first stomp of the pedal it usually went nearly to the floor.

I adjusted the brakes time and again according to the procedure given in the service manual.

The original 52 F-7 Ford braking system used a large booster mounted up under the floorboards.

All I did was mount the 86 booster/master cylinder on the firewall and run new lines down to each wheel, no proportioning valve anywhere just straight lines to the cylinder, one T in the front and one T in the rear.

I am fixin to get to the point of doing the brakes again and would prefer again to not spend the 90 dollars to get these correct wheel cylinders but want this to be done with.

I have heard that the F-7s are notorious for being hard to bleed, I bled them and bled them and bled them a few more times, I tried this over and over again.

I have never been able to figure out whey I did not have a pedal. Any input would be appreciated.
Did you bleed the master cylinder? This is a separate and messier function from bleeding the wheel cylinders. When there is air trapped inside the master's piston the braking will be minimal at best. Additionally, the 86 master is for disks up front which use very little fluid to actuate compared to drums.

Bogie