Wheel Help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wheel Help!

Let me see if I can make sense with this one. Right now I have a tubbed out nova with 15x12 wheels with a 5.5" back space. I am running Hoosier Quick time D.O.T. 31x16.5 tires with 14" tread width. As they stand right now I am have plenty of room for back spacing. From the inner fender to the bulge on the sidewall that sticks out the most I have 2" of clearance. The tread already clears just fine. My tires accept a 12-14" wide wheel. With the 12" wheels the tires have a pretty big sidewall bulge so I wanted to go with a set of 15x14" wheels for the back. The wheels I want only come in a 6" backspace. I think my clearance will be fine since with the 2" wider rim it will take away some of the sidewall bulge and still leave me with the same or maybe a little more clearance especially since the tread is 14" wide and clears fine now. Do you think I am right or do you think it's not going to fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

So, the 6" backside on the new wheel puts it 1/2" closer... Now add another inch on the inside and outside for the 14" wheel. That's 1-1/2" closer on the inside. Will it fit now?

The sidewall won't change dramatically, so you'd best do some measuring. Take into account of how much these big rollers will grow at speed also.

Best of luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

Wheel Help!

with that change , you will have 1/2 more on back , but will add 1 1/2 to outside .
fender well rub unless you have at least 2 inches room now with 12 inch, giving you 1/2 clearance , with the 14 inch wheel .
Old 08-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

So really for a 14" I really need to have atleast 7 to 7.5" back spacing in order for it to work?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
From the inner fender to the bulge on the sidewall that sticks out the most I have 2" of clearance.
If this is clearance to the inside, what is the clearance to the outside? Move the wheel towards the bigger number.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

I easily have another 7 inches from the side wall of the tire to the wheel tub on the back side. So yeah I have alot more back spacing to work with than up in front. I wanted to do some greg welds but they have that backspacing amount. The billet street lights go up to 7.5 back spacing and the torque thrusts go up to 7" but the greg welds were also alot cheaper. I guess I could order one from summit and see if it fits without the tire and then if it doesn't send it back. The 2" is from the sidewall not even the rim and the tire/sidewall bulge sticks out alot more than the rim itself

Last edited by Geradmg; 08-19-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.