Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   wheel hop (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wheel-hop-167935.html)

tsmall114 11-05-2009 03:36 PM

wheel hop issues need help

i have a 1964 impala is in the process of having a 496 bbc put in wich is replacing the 327 that was in there. its backed by a muncie m-22 4 speed tranny, and a brand new last summer ford 9 inch with 4.11 gears and a posi. we also replaced all rears upper and lower control arms and panhard bar with hotchkins kit. with the 327 it wheel hopped bad, and then with the new rear end and parts, along with new springs wich are station wagon springs and competition engineering adjustable shocks it got alo better but still does it, and my guess with the big block it will be really bad. so my questions are what can i do to minimize that? we will b putting mt et street tires on and be wider than whats on it now, should i maybe go taller? i dont remember but i think we set pinion angle like -1 or -2 degrees. what should the rear lower and up control arms be torqued to because the instructions didnt give torque specs and i figured maybe the bushings are binding up? the shocks have hard med and soft setting and they are on medium? i just would like to minimize this before i blow a brand new expensive rearend.

chevythmpr 11-09-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsmall114
i have a 1964 impala is in the process of having a 496 bbc put in wich is replacing the 327 that was in there. its backed by a muncie m-22 4 speed tranny, and a brand new last summer ford 9 inch with 4.11 gears and a posi. we also replaced all rears upper and lower control arms and panhard bar with hotchkins kit. with the 327 it wheel hopped bad, and then with the new rear end and parts, along with new springs wich are station wagon springs and competition engineering adjustable shocks it got alo better but still does it, and my guess with the big block it will be really bad. so my questions are what can i do to minimize that? we will b putting mt et street tires on and be wider than whats on it now, should i maybe go taller? i dont remember but i think we set pinion angle like -1 or -2 degrees. what should the rear lower and up control arms be torqued to because the instructions didnt give torque specs and i figured maybe the bushings are binding up? the shocks have hard med and soft setting and they are on medium? i just would like to minimize this before i blow a brand new expensive rearend.

I don't know too much as i'm kind of new at this high performance stuff, but with a friend of mines car; He had air shock and it would wheel hop bad until he let some air out of them. So maybe you should try to put your shocks on the soft setting or just add some trac bars.