Wheel problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 13
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel problem

Well, I found the wheels I've been looking for at the last swap meet and they were the right price (cheap). Took them home, cleaned them up and put a new coat of paint on them. Well, I went to try one on the car and low and behold the bolt pattern isn't the same. Measured the wheel bolt pattern and its 5x 4 3/8, the car is 5x 4.5, if this was your car and there was enough material would you or could you enlarge the holes and run a different lug nut???

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Abbotsford, B.C, Canada
Age: 50
Posts: 180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RE:wheel problem

Hi l don't know tomany people that would do it that way but it has been done, my advise go buy the adapter plates if you really want to use them rims. TROY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,637
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 6
Thanked 172 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EyedTurd
if this was your car and there was enough material would you or could you enlarge the holes and run a different lug nut???
Not if I wanted to live to tell about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
powerrodsmike's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: gilroy, california
Age: 53
Posts: 4,108
Wiki Edits: 161

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We don't even know what type of wheels these are. You said you painted them, so I'll assume they are steel. You also said the pattern is 4 3/8" ...does that correlate to a metric size?

As was already stated, yo you should not enlarge the holes...... do not do it..

You might get away with it on an aluminum wheel, for a while, but never even try it on a steel wheel.

Even in their best day the wheels with slotted lug nut holes were bad news. I had several sets, one set I even bought new...they all shook like crazy and loosened up the nuts on a regular basis. The old unilugs were a little better, with the fitted oblong washer, but were still a bad idea.

Most aftermarket wheels are positioned on the hub with the lug nuts,(lugcentric) not the hub center,(hubcentric).

As was already stated, get adapters or have your hubs drilled using the proper equipment for the new wheels bolt pattern.

"Cheap" doesn't always work out that way, does it?


Later, mikey
__________________
my signature lines...not really directed at anyone in particular..

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 13
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
We don't even know what type of wheels these are. You said you painted them, so I'll assume they are steel. You also said the pattern is 4 3/8" ...does that correlate to a metric size?

As was already stated, yo you should not enlarge the holes...... do not do it..

You might get away with it on an aluminum wheel, for a while, but never even try it on a steel wheel.

Even in their best day the wheels with slotted lug nut holes were bad news. I had several sets, one set I even bought new...they all shook like crazy and loosened up the nuts on a regular basis. The old unilugs were a little better, with the fitted oblong washer, but were still a bad idea.

Most aftermarket wheels are positioned on the hub with the lug nuts,(lugcentric) not the hub center,(hubcentric).

As was already stated, get adapters or have your hubs drilled using the proper equipment for the new wheels bolt pattern.

"Cheap" doesn't always work out that way, does it?


Later, mikey
Dammit, you are right on the cheap part. I found that I measured them wrong. The car is 5x4 3/4 and the wheel is 5x4 1/4 does anyone know where I might find an adapter ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 11:49 AM
AntnyL's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 414
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EyedTurd
Dammit, you are right on the cheap part. I found that I measured them wrong. The car is 5x4 3/4 and the wheel is 5x4 1/4 does anyone know where I might find an adapter ???
Summit Racing should be able to get adapter plates for you. If the plates result in an unacceptable offset issue, one of the custom wheel manufacturers can re-hoop your rims onto new centers with the proper bolt pattern. I know this will drive the cost up, but......you might be better served selling them and buying the correct wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 13
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, like mikey says, cheap doesn't always work that way. I'm going to cut my losses and just find the right set of wheels. Thanks for all of ya'lls input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
master cylinder interchange runn141 Suspension - Brakes - Steering 7 05-03-2009 06:15 AM
cant figure it out? wheel bearings? bent A-arm? bent spindle? Deadtemple Suspension - Brakes - Steering 9 06-28-2004 08:53 PM
Steering Wheel Adapters Question horvath Interior 17 06-26-2004 07:50 PM
please help..... annoying warm start problem 67cuda Engine 21 03-28-2003 06:44 AM
Fuel / Carb problem DoubleVision Engine 5 10-28-2002 06:18 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.