Hot Rod Forum banner

Wheel Question...

4K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  BruceKoukalaka 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I really like the looks of factory steel wheels with poverty caps, but do NOT like the weight. Does anyone know if these "steelies" are (or can be) made in aluminum? I'd want them powder coated, so finish is not a problem.

TIA!

Russ

#3 ·
Yup, weight would be the difference (just a personal preference). After removing the Billet Specialties 15x6 with P205R70 tire and comparing that to any comparable steel wheel, it would seem like a 60# to 80# difference on all 4 corners.

I wouldn't even know how to initiate a Google search for a "steel looking" aluminum wheel and was hoping someone here would have a source...

Russ

#4 ·
my z28 alum 15" rims (7") are 5 lb lighter than the 15x8" truck rallys in steel..

not enough to write home about..
I'll bet your "feel" of 20 lb was more the tires than the rims..

centerline makes a smoothie alum wheel. but $$$..

your billet wheels also have a big openings. that any alum wheel made like a steel wheel would not have.. remember that..
no idea of the bolt pattern but 70-80 m/b oilburners had alum wheels with hub caps.. the wheel itself looks like a basic steel wheel.
don't think you're gonna see the gains you thing you will with a solid alum wheel

#7 ·
I'm not necessarily looking for billet. Let me put it like this: Imagine your cast or billet aluminum wheel compared to the EXACT same design in cast or billet steel. Now are you seeing the weight difference?

I can't imagine it being so difficult mating a spun wheel hoop to a stamped center, all in aluminum of course!

Russ

#9 ·
I'm not necessarily looking for billet. Let me put it like this: Imagine your cast or billet aluminum wheel compared to the EXACT same design in cast or billet steel. Now are you seeing the weight difference?

I can't imagine it being so difficult mating a spun wheel hoop to a stamped center, all in aluminum of course!

Russ
well you see.. the billet rally weight
and then the steel rally weight.. will give you an IDEA of the difference.. and you can add the extra weight the stamped alum will add..
it'll give you two wheels with same cut outs.. same width.. and be a good way to SEE if spending the $ is worth it..
cause 2 and 3 piece wheels are not cheap..

#10 ·
Looks like a dead-end. Would have been nice to keep stock looking wheels while cutting some weight, but I'm not up for a set of custom wheels. Now to choose form or function....

Russ

#11 ·
Russ;
Whats this for? A friend of mine has the stock 16x8 Trans Am/ Grand National rims on his 86 camaro (inset is painted black). They're a very light, spin cast, aluminum wheel that GM had made in Japan. Make sure you get the ones that can clear disc brakes if you do this. I think Cragar is doing some different stuff now, Hell my nephew thinks Cragar S/S were some sort of dealer add on since all the 70s rod guys have em.

If you can't get the rim you want, what about something like a lightweight wilwood caliper and disc?

#12 ·
For whatever it's worth, aluminum weighs in at about 35-40% of steel, on a same-dimension basis, cubic inch for cubic inch. BUT -- and this is important, steel has three times the stiffness. Also, the strongest of weldable aluminums is only about half the strength of good quality quenched and tempered steel. Additionally, while some aluminum alloys can be welded, without a post weld heat treat (very expensive because of the way they must be processed) they lose over half their strength at the weld zone. So, precisely identical wheels, one steel and one aluminum, have the following differences. The steel wheel is about 2.5 times the weight. It is also three times as stiff. And the welds are approximately three times as strong. To get the same performance from both wheels, you'll save much less in weight, and have to use much larger weld beads. You CAN save a little weight with an aluminum built, performance comparable, "steelie" looking wheel. But not very much.

PatM

#13 ·
You wont find the "exact same design" in an aluminum wheel because aluminum will almost always be thicker to give equal strength to steel. Even though it is a lighter material, the extra thickness adds back some weight, so not as big a difference as one might think if both are identical designed.
I've never seen an aluminum wheel that looks just like a steel. Most are a different design.

#14 ·
I bought an old Rambler American that I'm gonna go through. Prolly an L-92 stroker with an Astro T-5, clipped rear and Ford 9". The Rambler has the same small Ford wheel pattern and I'd like to keep that. Was wanting to see about stock looking wheels, but will prolly go with Billet Specialties as I have a set on my Mav and they are not only light but reasonable in price. They're about double $$$ what a steel wheel in the same size would cost, but too heavy for my taste...

Bogart is willing to work with me, but too much $$$.

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.