Wheel spin out of control Help!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wheel spin out of control Help!!!!

I have just finished my 1985 chevy trucks engine and drive train. It has a blown 454 and a th400. I have back halfed the truck and am running MT 32x21.5x15. I have a Danna 60 with 3.90s. At the track for the first time this weekend we let the tires down to 6psi helping me run a 8.3 in the 1/8. but I could bearly touch the gas for the first 100 feet or the tires would just smoke. I haven't done much to the rear suspention because I really don't know what to do. If anyone has any good cheap Ideas I would be very thankfull.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Are you running a 4-Link? If so, try messing with the pre-load. Since you're flying blind there, just adjust it, make a pass, and study the time slip. Look for any differences in the 60-ft. Also, what size tires are your running, and what kind. 6 psi is pretty low, are running bead locks? Also make sure you're not spinning the tire on the rim. Some little other things; where's your gas tank? I don't know if the stock one is behind the seat your year, but putting one in the rear of the bed helps, along with the battery. Making trucks hook up is tricky, especially with the amount of horses you have coming from the blown 454. Did you install a cage at all? Eliminating the flex in the chassis will help out as well. Let me know some more info, and we'll go from there.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:46 AM

At the moment I am running leafs springs but I am wanting to install a four link but I am not sure what alll I need to do this There are way to many kits and to many people that say one thing or another about them(Any suggestions?). My tires are MT Pro Street 32x21.5x15s and th etires do not seem to be moving on the rim I have marked the tire and the valve stem and it has not moved. The gas tank in under the bed on the drivers side I am planning on getting a cell and putting it under the back of the bed. I am going to put a cage in as soon as my friends pipe bender is fixed. The battery is in the back and I have also lightened the truck as much as I can aford at the moment I plann on chopping 6 inches of the top and going back in with lexan windows.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

The best out there is 4-Link, but that's because of the tunability of them. I'm running a set on my Nova, but I have no idea how to tune one. I'm just going to test and tune at the track. I've heard on the board that leafs and ladder bars don't mix too well because of the range of motion conflictions, but there are ways around it. When you did the back half, did you just cut away the bed to make room for the wheels, or did you do a different rear frame as well? I would switch over to coil overs and either ladder bars or a 4-Link. It's expensive, but almost necissary for you to hook up. A set of slicks would be a big plus as well. I know all of these things aren't cheap, but getting a blown 454 in a truck to hook isn't an easy feet to accomplish. The cheapest one that I know of is traction bars. They may help out a little, and you can get em for a little over a 100 bucks....
Old 10-15-2003, 01:46 PM

another thing to try that wont cost you a lot is if you are running multileafs try and tak one out ...soften up the rear a little...

it will produce axlewrap tho... especially when you hook up.

with a 32 " tall tire your gearing seams off especially if your setting it up for 1/8 mile. i would run at least 4.11 if you going for 1/8 mile maybe 456.

laddr bars suck arse if your trying to hook. even a traction bar will help you hook a little it will eliminate axle wrap tho.

the good thing about 4 links as said abouve is the adjustability of it. you can cahnge the squat/antisquat caracteristics of the suspension just by moving the links.

ok 4 links are cool

picture a 4 link from the side view.

the links are aimed at eachother and if extended theey will touch somewhere in the middle of the car. this is were the push point is kinda.

now draw a line in the truck where the center of gravity is..from front to rear.

if the push point is below the cg it will squat

if its above you will have antisquat ...it will lift up..just like a traction bar or laddr bar

hope you kinda understand

with all this you can setup a car for tracs what you feel s is best..

i have never messed with any of this in a car so i couldnt tell you how to adjust it but i know this is how it works

Last edited by WICKEDFAB; 10-15-2003 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:48 PM

Yes I put in a new back frame that is 24" wide so the tires would fit under the truck. I am going to go with a four link, but do you have any suggestions on a kit that is good? I have never done this before and don't want to waste any money that isn't nesasary. I am an engine man not a suspention man so this is very new to me.

Thanks for all the info you are all great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

I went with a Chris Alston 4-Link kit. Good instructions, and seem to be good quality parts. The guy that did my cage said that that's all he'll deal with. They show how to set it up in order for it to be pretty straight, but still needs fine tunning.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.