wheelbase 23t - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 06:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

wheelbase 23t

what is the ideal wheelbase for a 23t this is my first build from the frame up so any insight on setting up the rearend would be very helpful and appreciated I have a turtedeck john

Advertisement

Last edited by jcdiverdn; 09-26-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 07:02 PM

There's as many answers to your question as there are styles of T-Buckets. I just finished building one with a 94" wheelbase and 4.3L Chevy V6 / T5 because I like 'em short -- with a hood top, sort of Lakes Modified style. Some guys like the longer wheelbase cars with the a long distance between front axle and radiator/grill. Lakes mod,Track T, Kookie car, fad T style, or your own original style -- you'll have to decide which you want to build and that will be a large part of what determines your wheelbase.

Bob
Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 PM

wheelbase 23t

thanks Bob now that I'm really confused I'm going have to put a little more thought into it. I do like the short look how dose it handle john
Old 09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
AKA Lee in KC

Last photo:

My T has a 106" wheelbase, which is exactly what I wanted (click on my avatar to see a larger pic of my hot rod). Wheelbase on a T (and most other street rods) is a matter of taste. Some like 'em short and squat, some like 'em long and low. Not to take away from this forum, cuz it's great for motor and tranny technical stuff, but if you want to talk about Ts, go here.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdiverdn
thanks Bob now that I'm really confused I'm going have to put a little more thought into it. I do like the short look how dose it handle john
Handles quite well. The short frame has good torsional stiffness, and I've got Vega cross steering and Panhard rods on both ends so it's very stable. The V6 Chevy, BW T5 trans,and Toyota pickup rear end are considerably lighter than the typical SBC / TH350 / 9" Ford rear powertrain combo, so the car is well balanced fore and aft.

Bob
Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 PM

wheelbase 23t

Bob thanks for the input I have one more question for you is there any advantage to cross steering over traditional steering I going to order a front end sometime this week thanks john
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdiverdn
Bob thanks for the input I have one more question for you is there any advantage to cross steering over traditional steering I going to order a front end sometime this week thanks john
I don't think that either system has a clear cut advantage over the other provided that the steering system geometry is correct. Personally, I think that having the drag link under the car looks cleaner. That said, very few T Buckets use cross steering because most have the tie rod in front of the axle rather than behind. I'm using a narrowed Econoline Van axle and '37 Ford spindles, and the tie rod is behind the axle, passing through the hairpin radius rods.

Bob
Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

wheelbase 23T

As it's been stated, the wheelbase on a T bucket depends on what components you are using. You didn't say what engine you're using so I'm assuming it's a V-8. You did say you have a turtle deck. The best way to figure this out is to mock up your body engine/trans and tires. When I set up for a turtle deck, I like to have the back of the tires 1" to 2" forward of the back of the deck. Any more that that and it looks like an altered from the '60's. I've only setup 2 cars with the 'deck on them. One had a 106" WB, the other was 112" WB, Didn't really like that set up, but that's what the customer wanted. I thought it looked like a freight train. To each his own!

As for the steering choises, I prefer the side steering. I like to mount the alternator low on the drivers side. With the cross steer, it tends to get a little tight and /or congested in that area. the thing to remember is to keep your drag link as parallel to your 'bones, 4 bars, or hair pins as possible. Also keep the pitman arm at the steering box directly above the frame mount for your 'bones, bars, or pins.

Hope this helps!!! Youngster
Old 09-28-2007, 03:11 PM

youngster, thank for the inforemation I have 305 with automatic trans I'm going to start with a 106 wheelbase and might go shorter. I agree with you on the long wheelbase. John
Old 09-28-2007, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

wheelbase 23T

jcdiverdn... Are you building your own frame? If so , I'm working on a set of plans now for the frame, front and rear suspension for a T bucket. I hope to have them ready to send out in a week or so.If you're interested, I'll send you a copy of them.

Youngster
Old 09-28-2007, 04:02 PM

plans 23t

Youngster, Yes,on the set of plans,that would be a big help. this is my first build from the frame up and it's like working in the dark sometimes. So any kind of help would be great. My address is postbox452 waldport Oregon 97394 thanks again John Carlson

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.