WHEELIES...8" or 9" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 12:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

WHEELIES...8" or 9"

I just switched out my 67 mustang rear end with a 2000 mustang rear end so i could have a newer differential as well as disc brakes! WHAT i didn't know until i started to read up on the install IS THAT the 67 8" rear is better then the 2000 9"!!!! I have been trying to follow my role model at http://www.moneymakerracing.com/ He States that a 9 inch rear would be better...and i believe that completely and will follow that in my second build (351w)! BUT i have 302 that i just finished and want to know what kind of gears or what i should do to this differential(posi/locker...etc) to be able to generate the kind of power to do a wheelie or flat out kick *** of the line?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

The 2000 has an 8.8 inch rear end somewhat similar inside to a 12 bolt chevy. The 8.8 IS stronger than the eight inch Ford, but generally not considered as tough as a nine inch Ford. (light duty 9s weren't all that strong)

I prefer a limited slip rear for street useage. Auburn gives the best bias traction. The Ford traction-lock seems to be the weakest overall because of the limited clutches in a stock set up. For strip only use, the full spool is the only way to run. Depending on your tire and combination, your gears could get down into the 5.00/1 ratio.

Proper chassis set up will be necessary to do wheelies.

Strip off all possible weight and use a 150 nitrous hit on the line with a 4000 rpm launch. Maybe... if you are lucky.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM

street strip

Hey there, good to hear from Xcentric ! This car is the one i have been working on from a while back , if you remember? Well it is finished, it ended up with a 302(instead of the 289) in it ! I am probably going to sell it and would like to run it first for a while! I would like you to recommend what to do gear/differential wise: I will probably drive it around 20-30 miles to get to a track then would prefer it just for racing! BUT if this isn't possible then just the best set up for street racing and almost daily... driver usage! Or is that to much to ask ?
The next project (Another 67 mustang, 351w stroked to 408, with Holley double pumper 750cfw, pentronix distributor, NOS set-up, turbo,! i have some other parts but just cant remember all of them right now!)will be strictly strip usage ! I have already started gathering parts and suspension and should have it ready by the end of summer! Too late for the racing season here in mexico! BUT will sound awesome while going down the street to get some tacos! hehehe
Old 05-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

A limited slip differential is a must for street/racing. Spools are out.

A rebuilt Ford traction lock might be OK except in heavy race situations it tends to slip. Auburn cone type seems to have the strongest holding power, but also is more agressive under slight power applications in wet/slippery conditions.

Maybe a Detroit locker or mini-locker like Powertrax might work for you, but they can be dangerous in slippery conditions, locking and unlocking suddenly and sometimes unexpectedly.

As for gear choice, that is something that must match your drivetrain combination and your intended useage. Anywhere from 3.70 to 4.56.

What does "daily driver" mean to you? More street rpm than this might be difficult to live with daily. 4000 rpm at highway speeds and 8 miles per gallon might be a challenge.

Last edited by xntrik; 05-09-2006 at 04:48 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.