Hot Rod Forum banner

wheels for rottiserrie

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  grouch 
#1 ·
I want to put some large casters with rubber wheels on my rott. Can anyone suggest a place that would carry a caster with a large rubber wheel? I checked harbour freight and some other places on line and they dont really have anything that large. I want to be able to roll the thing out of my garage without getting stuck like it does now with the small casters and solid wheels. If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate the help. Thanks

#5 ·
Joe G said:
You could check out McMaster Carr. They have a nice selection of high quality casters.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#casters/=grccj

That's where I'm getting my next set. :thumbup:

Farm supply stores usually have them too.

I'm sure there are several industrial supply stores in Thunder bay that sell casters. This one looks promising (click here)

Hope this helps.

Joe G.

Joe - I really like the mcmaster link -

The wheels you're looking for are probably more like these - and you'll want to know the total weight you're dealing with as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#air-wheel-casters/=gs3st

#7 ·
Rambo_The_Dog said:
Joe - I really like the mcmaster link -

The wheels you're looking for are probably more like these - and you'll want to know the total weight you're dealing with as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#air-wheel-casters/=gs3st

yes these are the type of wheels i'm looking for in the picture. thanks for all the help i will check the place listed in the other place locally here to see if the y have something similar. Thats great you guys have been a lot of help.

#10 ·
freedom53 said:
Here in the west I would try Princess Auto- the Harbour Freight of western Canada (prices might be better because we're closer to China LOL)

Don't think theres a princess auto anywhere near me. I noticed that northern has a 12" caster listed on there website. Only thing is there is only one review on it and the person stated the caster fell apart without even being close to the maximum weight its supposed to hold. I guess i better buy something half decent the first time instead of trying to get the cheapest priced ones.

#12 ·
ricksautorestoration said:
I want to put some large casters with rubber wheels on my rott. Can anyone suggest a place that would carry a caster with a large rubber wheel? I checked harbour freight and some other places on line and they dont really have anything that large. I want to be able to roll the thing out of my garage without getting stuck like it does now with the small casters and solid wheels. If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate the help.
Thanks
I would stay away from inflatable tires. If they are low or flat it may be unstable with a car on it. I would go with as large as possible steel casters. They will be the easiest to roll around. Even the steel ones with rubber bonded on them get hard to move.

#17 ·
OneMoreTime:

I have the center sections of a pair of space-saver wheels on one end of my rotisserie on some junk front stub axle carriers from a front-wheel drive car. I just drilled out where the rim was welded. The centers of these are pretty heavy steel and look like extra large casters. They roll nicely on concrete but not well at all on gravel. I'll have to swap them for tires *and* wheels, as you suggest, as each end of the rotisserie clears the doorway.

Haven't added any to the other end yet -- haven't decided whether I should use front spindles so they can steer or rear ones for fixed. Thought about just temporarily attaching the rear-end from the Olds to the rotisserie, cobbling a starter motor and pulleys to it, and letting it push itself outside and back. Hey, that rear-end is useless until I get the frame out of the rotisserie, anyway. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.